HomeGroupsTalkExploreZeitgeist
Search Site
SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

The Sword of Destiny (1992)

by Andrzej Sapkowski

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: The Witcher (2)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
1,776567,427 (4.12)27
"Geralt is a witcher, a man whose magic powers, enhanced by long training and a mysterious elixir, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer: his targets are the multifarious monsters and vile fiends that ravage the land and attack the innocent."--
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 27 mentions

English (49)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (56)
Showing 1-5 of 49 (next | show all)
Ugh... I give up. I hate not finishing books, but for some reason this one just completely sapped me of my energy and enthusiasm for this series and I have to throw in the towel at the 80% (second chapter of last story). My wife ran into the same issue, and we'd both really enjoyed the first book. I can't even pinpoint what happened, sadly. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
Sarebbe dovuta essere una lettura settembrina, ma quando sono andata in biblioteca a restituire un libro, l'ho preso senza indugiare prima che qualcun altro lo prendesse e quindi rimandare la lettura a chissà quando.
Il primo libro mi era piaciuto e quando ho iniziato questo ho pensato: "cos'è successo? sono io o è Sapkowski?". Anche questo secondo libro è una raccolta di racconti di circa 80 pagine l'uno. Qui ce ne sono sei, ma i primi tre non mi sono piaciuti. Ho trovato che gli eventi fossero poco collegati, talvolta addirittura per nulla collegati. Non solo tra un racconto e l'altro, che è normale, ma anche all'interno della storia stessa. Prima si è in luogo e poi ci si ritrova in un altro senza spiegare come, né perché. Non accadeva nulla di rilevante, se non poche pagine degne di nota. Geralt aveva un ruolo quasi marginale nelle vicende poiché veniva dato più spazio ai personaggi secondari, ahem, di cui ben poco mi importava. Fortunatamente la seconda metà del libro (gli altri tre racconti) è stata molto migliore. Il più bello in assoluto è stato "La spada destino", omonimo del titolo del libro, collegato tra l'altro a un racconto del primo volume e decisivo il futuro. Assolutamente commovente la fine del libro che non scrivo per non spoilerare. u.u
Il bello di questa serie è che vengono affrontati temi attuali, come la protezione della natura, il rispetto per le altre razze (paragonabile al rispetto per le altre etnie), la distizione tra il bene e il male all'interno di queste razze. C'è chi uccide per difesa e chi uccide per il piacere di uccidere. E Geralt ha un suo codice, conosce le altre razze e le difende qualora vengano attaccate dagli umani per motivi futili (per sfruttarne le risorse, ecc...), mentre protegge gli umani da quelle specie davvero pericolose per tutti.
Alla fine do tre stelle per una media dei voti tra i racconti e spero che dal prossimo libro, che dovrebbe essere una "novel" vera e propria, non ci siano più i difetti che ho riscontrato in questi due volumi, quali, come ho già detto, gli eventi poco contestualizzati e slegati tra loro. ( )
  Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
This collection failed to reach the heights of [b:The Last Wish|40603587|The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)|Andrzej Sapkowski|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1529591917l/40603587._SX50_.jpg|2293675], which I reviewed very favourably here. For most of the book, there is no clear overarching narrative that links the discrete stories together. It's more angsty, horny, with multiple drippy romance threads that didn't interest me nearly as much as all the monster hunting. As a result, it comes off very sexist; most (all?) of the adult female characters are sexualised in some way - some quite gratuitously, others massively distastefully.

It contains two really weak stories, but begins to redeem itself with The Eternal Flame (my favourite one), which I found inventive and quite clever, despite the slapstick humour and general silliness that doesn't seem inkeeping with the rest of the 'twisted fairy tales' grimdark fantasy universe that Sapkowski writes in.

The main characters are interesting; I feel like I already know them, and yet want to know more about them. But it's the world I really want to know more about, and I felt that this collection only teased at what else is to come, especially in the final two stories. I got through this book pretty quickly, and while I wasn't blown away, I find myself still eager for more.

But please, no more cringe-inducing torturous introspection from the Witcher himself. It's better when he stays silent.

Content warnings: sexual assault, paedophilia, violence, blood, gore, death, suicide, animal cruelty, child abuse ( )
  Katrana | Oct 13, 2021 |
I had to wait a while to get to this second short collection because of the wait at the library. But I’m glad I did, because it gave me an opportunity to savor the experience of the previous one and enjoy this even more.

As with any collection, this one had a couple of amazing stories and a few bored me. As a very dialogue heavy writing style, this one too had many many conversations which I thought were pointless, but some of them were profound and emotional too, so I don’t wanna dismiss it all entirely. But it’s the couple of stories which were part of the TV show which I had the most fun reading. I definitely like that Dandelion is much more prominently featured in the stories, Yennefer here is a little less fiery and more emotionally available, and Geralt is a grumpy delight. There’s one story featuring a new character Essi which made me very emotional, and it was just so beautifully tragic. But it was the introduction of Ciri that stole the show, and I can’t believe how different the first meeting of Ciri and Geralt is. I definitely would have loved to see that in the show. And the ending was amazing, with the exact final scene from the show playing in my head and on the page.

In conclusion, I’m having as much fun reading these books as I was watching the adaptation. Both the similarities and differences are quite exciting to explore and I can’t wait to finally dive into the novels which will bring a whole new story. The writing (or maybe the translation) isn’t always easy to follow, but hopefully I’ll get used to it. The wait times for the next books seem to be quite high at my library, so I hope I’ll be able to finish them all before the start of the next season. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
The stories in this Witcher anthology are all on the long side, a change from The Last Wish. Also, there are no efforts that I could recall to transition from one story to the next, although several of the stories do naturally work well in the order in which they're included.

Geralt encounters a mermaid and other sea creatures, dryads, a dragon, and a shapeshifter. He also deals with further complications in his relationship with Yennefer and finds himself face-to-face with a destiny he's not entirely sure he wants anymore but can't avoid.

The Last Wish ended with something that felt like a cliffhanger, as Iola had some kind of horrible vision of Geralt's future. I had thought that Sword of Destiny would continue on from that point and provide an explanation, but that didn't seem to be the case. Not only that, Iola and Nenneke made no appearances in this volume.

It was a bit jarring, but not necessarily a bad thing. This volume also seemed to lean less heavily on fairy tales (unless they were ones I didn't recognize) - I noticed "The Little Mermaid" and one or two others, but they were more in the background this time. The tone didn't shift quite so wildly from one story to the next, and overall it felt like Sapkowski had gotten a better handle on his characters and their world.

That said, the individual stories weren't quite so memorable this time around. Also, I found the first half of the volume's greater focus on Geralt's love life to be tiresome. Geralt and Yennefer exhaust me, and Geralt and Essi was just depressing. I was glad that Sapkowski made no attempt at a Geralt and Braenn pairing.

It was surprising how well Gerald handled Ciri. I wouldn't have thought he'd have had much experience with children - he seemed like the kind of guy parents would generally warn their children to stay away from. And it was nice to see one of the loose ends from The Last Wish get taken care of, or at least continued/built up further.

This is the last of the books from this series that I own, and I have some book club reading to do, so it may be a while before I continue this. However, I do plan to continue on.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Aug 7, 2021 |
Showing 1-5 of 49 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (51 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Andrzej Sapkowskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belletti, RaffaellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
French, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kenny, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simon, ErikÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
- No va a salir de ahí, os digo - habló el caracañado, moviendo la cabeza con convicción-.
La moribunda oveja, debilitada e hinchada, apuntando al cielo con las patas rígidas, se removió.
- ¡Sucio gorrino! ¡Soplagaitas sin talento! ¡Embaucador!
La sirena sacó la mitad del cuerpo del agua y golpeó violentamente la superficie con sus manos.
Halló el primer cadáver hacia el mediodía.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Contains 6 short stories
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS
Canonical LCC

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

"Geralt is a witcher, a man whose magic powers, enhanced by long training and a mysterious elixir, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer: his targets are the multifarious monsters and vile fiends that ravage the land and attack the innocent."--

No library descriptions found.

Book description
Geralt de Riv n’en a pas fini avec sa vie errante de tueur de monstres. Fidèle aux règles de la corporation maudite des sorceleurs, Geralt assume sa mission sans faillir dans un monde hostile et corrompu qui ne laisse aucune place à l’espoir. Mais la rencontre avec la petite Ciri, l’Enfant élue, va donner un sens nouveau à l’existence de ce héros solitaire. Geralt cessera-t-il enfin de fuir devant la mort pour affronter la providence et percer à jour son véritable destin ?
Haiku summary

Popular covers

Quick Links

Rating

Average: (4.12)
0.5
1
1.5 1
2 11
2.5 4
3 80
3.5 35
4 176
4.5 25
5 179

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,366,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible