Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha by…

Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha (original 1985; edition 1986)

by Dorothy Gilman

Member:vanderschloot
Title:Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha
Authors:Dorothy Gilman
Info:Fawcett (1986), Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Mystery Series, Pollifax

Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha by Dorothy Gilman (1985)

This book was written and published quite some time ago and has hung around in my TBR pile for a very long time. I finally picked it up and quite enjoyed it. It was definitely dated but aged well. Coincidentally I had recently read another book published the same year, and Mrs. Pollifax had a much better portrayal of women. I expected to see a somewhat dated approach to the role and portrayal of women but the attitudes of the characters seemed realistic for the times. The main character, and other women seemed real, only limited by their own learned attitudes as well as those around them.

Generally I found the tone of the book a bit dark, and surprising. I expected a lighter read but the subject matter was deadly serious and thought provoking. It was also very interesting reading this type of international thriller written pre-9/11, knowing how the world has changed.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mysteries and thrillers, and I am surprised I haven't discovered Dorothy Gilman before now. ( )
  csmith0406 | Mar 18, 2016 |
This mystery pushes the boundaries of "cozy" mystery. There is more pain and death than I am used to in this mystery series. Still, it was a page-turner and a good story. Mrs. Pollifax is becoming more used to the world of espionage, even if her superiors think they are sending her into relatively safe situations. In this book we meet some old friends out in the field and I found the people are far more important to the story than the setting.

If you like cozy mysteries, you'll like this book. While I suggest you read the earlier books first, it isn't strictly necessary as people are introduced with enough background that you can easily follow along. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Feb 16, 2016 |
Two books after going on safari, Mrs. Pollifax is now married to Cyrus, the gentleman she met on that trip. Marriage, however, doesn't slow her down. One day while discussing the position of her bay window with her contractor, Mr. Bishop from the CIA pulls into the driveway. He says they urgently need her to fly to Hong Kong. It seems that Sheng Ti, the young man she helped smuggle out of China a year ago, is working at a shop in Hong Kong under the guidance of another CIA agent, Mr. Detwiler. Detwiler's reports to the CIA have proved to be false, so he is suspected of being a double agent. Carstairs, Bishop’s boss, wants Mrs. Pollifax to make contact and figure out what is going on. Sheng Ti almost certainly knows and he trusts Mrs. Pollifax.

She soon meets and befriends a psychic and then unexpectedly finds herself reunited with Robin Burke-Jones, one-time jewel thief and now Interpol operative. He's pursuing the answers to questions of his own and is looking for a missing police inspector and investigating several diamond thefts. Then the man she met on the plane stumbles into her room with a wound on his head. Before long, as is always the case with Mrs. Pollifax, things soon spiral out of control.

I'm a big fan of the Mrs. Pollifax cozy mysteries. This wasn't my favorite of the seven I've read but I still found it enjoyable. I'm halfway through the series and absolutely intend the finish the final seven this year. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
As far as Mrs. Pollifax novels go, this one was nearly believable. It is definitely a sign of the times that a bit of murder and mayhem causes me to say this. But truely, this one had a fairly tight plot, characters that stayed true to their m.o., and showed some growth on the part of Mrs. P. ( )
  kaulsu | Oct 16, 2015 |
I always enjoy Mrs. Pollifax, the spy, with her flowered hats and her not-quite-lethal karate chops. This one has her going up against Nationalist Chinese fanatics. It’s really escapist but it’s fun – and very affirming for white-haired women like me. ( )
  astrologerjenny | Apr 24, 2013 |

Dorothy Gilmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berg, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Versluys, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
柳沢由実子Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was raining - a driving spring rain that slashed at the windows - and Mrs. Pollifax hoped that it was not raining in the wilds of Vermont, where Cyrus had gone for a ten-day bird-watching expedition that would find him crouching for hours in the shrubbery or ensconced in a tree with field glasses.

SOMETHING DANGEROUS IS IN THE HONG KONG AIR

Faster than she can say her name, the newly married Mrs. Pollifax is packed and ready to go on another adventure - her most dangerous assignment yet. Lured away from renovating her idyllic country home by an urgent agent Bishop, she flies off to Hong Kong, where young agent Sheng Ti, whom she'd helped smuggle out of mainland China in a previous mission, holds the answers to what is going on at the sinister Feng Imports - a one-time agency front.

Naturally, only Mrs. Pollifax has earned Sheng's trust, and only she can possibly stop what turns out to be a frightening and ominous plot involving illicit drugs, smuggled diamonds,a famous cat burglar turned Interpol agent, a mysterious psychic, and, of course, murder - quite possibly her own ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449209830, Mass Market Paperback)

"Like the proverbial first potato chip [this book] gives you an irresistible craving for the first six Mrs. Pollifax books."
Newport News DAILY PRESS
Although recently married, Mrs. Pollifax is packed and ready to go to China, where a young agent, Sheng Ti, holds the answers to goings on at the sinister Feng Imports--a one-time agency front. Only Mrs. Pollifax has earned Sheng's trust, and only she can possibly stop what turns out to be a frightening and ominous plot involving drugs, smuggled diamonds, a famous cat burglar turned Interpol agent, a mysterious psychic, and, of course, murder.....possibly her own!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

With less than 30 minutes to pack, Mrs. P. is on her way to Hong Kong. An agent has stopped his information gathering and Mrs. P. is sent on a mission.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,758,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible