Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

I Before E (Except After C): Old-School Ways…

I Before E (Except After C): Old-School Ways to Remember Stuff (edition 2011)

by Judy Parkinson (Author)

Member:Jonho
Title:I Before E (Except After C): Old-School Ways to Remember Stuff
Authors:Judy Parkinson (Author)
Info:Michael O'Mara Books (2011), 192 pages

I Before E (Except After C): Old-School Ways to Remember Stuff by Judy Parkinson

A great handy way to remember everything from what to put on a bee or wasp sting (ammonia or baking powder for bees, acid-vinegar for wasps), to which implements go on which side of the plate when setting the table, to the order of the planets, the periodic elements and how to figure pi. Alas no index, but it's a little book and things are pretty easily found. This is a very good quick little reference book. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Jun 29, 2011 |
Excellent resource for those that may need a refresher but especially as a classroom and/or home teaching tool for children. ( )
  mspj | Apr 8, 2011 |
Remember the days before we all sat in front of computers with nice fast internet connections and a short cut to Google?In those days you had to remember stuff. You had to be able to recite it, and use it at the drop of a hat. Of course, all thats gone now. You can look up anything in seconds. But isn't it nice to know that you don't need a net connection sometimes?This book gathers together memory aids from various fields and stitches them together in some sort of order. There is everything from spelling to skeletons, Kings to continents.I expect that most people (of my age anyway) will remember some mnemonic that was drilled in to them, and will look to see if it is here. I certainly did, and found 'OIL RIG' (oxidation is loss, reduction is gain, its a chemistry thing) ROY G. BIV (the colours in the light spectrum) etc.I was especially pleased to find the one for tightening/loosening screws (righty-tighty, lefty loosey).The one I would like to have found is the one my chemistry teacher used to teach the reactivity series of common metals: Kind Natives Can Magic A Zebra... Feeble Pygmies Conjure Angry Apes (Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron, Lead, Copper, Silver Gold). I must have learnt that more than 25 years ago, and I still remember it with ease... ( )
  fieldri1 | May 8, 2009 |
A handy reference providing mnenomics for lists and arcana from a wide range of subjects. Might come in handy in math, science, history, or many other common secondary school or college level classes. A solid reference, though not a great read.

Os. ( )
  Osbaldistone | Dec 24, 2008 |

Here is an amusing collection of ingenious mnemonics devised to help us learn and understand hundreds of important fact as children and can continue to resonate with us as adults.

Featuring all the mnemonics you?ll ever need to know, this fun little book will bring back all the simple, easy-to-remember rhymes from your childhood?once learned, fix the information in the brain forever?such as learning to count by reciting ?One, Two, buckle my shoe, Three, Four, knock at the door.? Packed with clever verses, engaging acronyms, curious?and sometimes hilarious?sayings that can be used to solve a problem or cap an argument.

Take a trip back to the classroom, and rediscover the assortment of practical memory aids covering a range of different subjects, including spelling, time, mathematics, history, general trivia, and much more. The information is organized in short snippets by category such as:
* Geographically Speaking: Remember North East South West by reciting Never Eat Slimy Worms or Naughty Elephants Squirt Water.
* Time and the Calendar: ?Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November; All the rest have 31 excepting February alone; And that has 28 days clear; With 29 in each leap year?
* Think of a Number: Know the Roman numerals by remembering ?I Value Xylophones Like Cows Dig Milk?
* World History: ?In fourteen hundred, ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue, And found this land, land of the Free, beloved by you, beloved by me?

The clever verses, engaging acronyms, curious sayings are endless. Guaranteed to amuse and inform, here is a perfect gift for any language lover?complete with a To/From gift plate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:49 -0400)

Featuring all the mnemonics you'll ever need to know, this fun little book will bring back all the simple, easy-to-remember rhymes from your childhood--once learned, fix the information in the brain forever. Packed with clever verses, engaging acronyms, curious--and sometimes hilarious--sayings that can be used to solve a problem or cap an argument.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible