Melting Stones by Tamora Pierce

A fairly forgettable young adult fantasy, this didn't hold my interest. I guess I'm like one of the characters - rocks just don't do much for me, and there's a lot about rocks. I got the feeling Pierce isn't all that interested in rocks either, which didn't help much. I did like the parts set inside a volcano. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Not a favorite. The plot is a little dull - they don't catch what should be obvious, especially with Evvy and Luvo there. Evvy is annoying anyway - I didn't like her in Street Magic (too...what? self-contained? Cold? I really don't know, but she doesn't catch my interest). Rosethorn is OK, but she's playing the martinet too often here (thanks to her companions). And the other mage is just a pain, for 90% of the story. He does improve towards the end - passes Evvy in interest, for me. It's weird with Luvo showing up, and Evvy and Rosethorn knowing lots about him and we-the-readers knowing nothing. More dribbles and bits about the bad time in the war. It's not terrible - probably worth rereading - but not a favorite. On reread - same feeling. Glad I read it, but not much interested in rereading - I probably will, much later. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 22, 2017 |
Briar's student Evvy has an adventure of her own. She follows Rosethorn to investigate mysterious happenings on an island, only to find that the island is actually a volcano that is about to erupt.

Aimed at a much younger audience than the last few Circle/Emelan books, despite being next in the series. Although Pierce gives Evvy plenty of characterization, I didn't feel like I really knew her or cared about her. This book gave me an enjoyable afternoon, but it doesn't add anything to the series. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Evvy and Rosethorn face down a Volcano! I didn't think such a natural disaster would play with it's fate by taking on Rosethorn, but considering Rosethorn is a green mage and the mountain would barely note her existance because she isn't tied to fire... Well, let's just say this book was eye opening. I enjoyed learning more about rocks through the mountain heart that is Evvy's friend. ( )
  mariahsidhe | Feb 3, 2015 |
This was excellent. Exactly what I needed. Gosh I love Tamora Pierce. ( )
  lysne | Aug 1, 2013 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barkat, JonathanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, SteveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Hey, kid - stop hanging off that rail!" A sailor, one of the women, was yelling at me.

This new novel from New York Times bestselling author Tamora Pierce returns to the world of the Circle Opens quartet. This time, Evvy, a street urchin turned stone mage, must save an island nation.

Four years have passed since Evvy left the streets of Chammur to begin her training as a stone mage. At fourteen, she's unhappy to be on a new journey with her mentor, prickly green mage Rosethorn, who has been called to the Battle Islands to determine why the plants and animals there are dying. Evvy's job is to listen and learn, but she can't keep quiet and do nothing. With the help of Luvo, the living stone heart of a mountain, Evvy uncovers an important clue. Now, with the island on the brink of disaster, it's up to Evvy to avert the destruction that looms ahead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:33 -0400)

Residents of the island of Starns send for help from Winding Circle temple, and when prickly green mage Rosethorn and young stone mage trainee Evvy respond, Evvy finds that the problem is with a long-dormant volcano and tries to use her talents to avert the looming destruction.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,969,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible