My Story (1974)

by Marilyn Monroe

Other authors: Joshua Greene (Foreword), Milton H. Greene (Photographer), Ben Hecht (Contributor)

Little known and long unavailable, this autobiography, written by actress and starlet Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962), describes her early adolescence, her rise in the film industry from bit player to celebrity, and her marriage to Joe DiMaggio, and more.

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
My only disappointment with this autobiography is that MM didn’t continue writing it during her glory years. Perhaps the glory years didn’t allow her enough time to commit to it.

This is a fascinating insight to Marilyn’s childhood and early years as a struggling actress. It’s very much a rags to riches story, albeit it cuts off at the outset of the riches period.

I felt sorry for Marilyn during her girlhood. This unwanted "orphan" was good-hearted yet unable to build friendships, owing to being sent to different homes, and often being kicked out through other children blaming her for things she didn't do, such as ripping another child's clothes.

Her introduction to the film world and the painstaking efforts she had to win parts is also an absorbing read.

Overall, this great book is a sad story that isn’t without hope. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Oct 17, 2018 |
Marilyn Monroe is a fascinating woman, even years after her death. This unfinished memoir started with her less-than-happy childhood and follows her rise to fame. It was interesting to read about her experiences at Hollywood parties, where she never truly felt like she fit in and preferred to stand aside and watch everyone. She was a woman of many layers and surprising depth. I'm eager to read more about her. ( )
1 vote kaylaraeintheway | May 31, 2018 |
I don't know if Marilyn actually wrote this (the controversy was never resolved) or even part of it, but it's a sad window into a tragic life. Finished on the 87th anniversary of her birth. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Regrese a mis orígenes de estoy obsesionada con Marilyn Monroe , lo que en un principio (cuando tenia catorce años) era estoy obsesionada con Marilyn y Joe Dimaggio y luego estoy obsesionada con el misterio de la muerte de Monroe y ahora es solo Marilyn x Marilyn y todo lo que se haya escrito sobre ella .

Que mejor modo de conocerla que a traves de sus propias palabras . Una autobiografía inconclusa pero ciertamente triste sobre una mujer que nunca quiso ser un mero símbolo sexual .

Es muy deprimente leer como se esforzó , como luchó por ser reconocida (como mínimo) como un ser humano pero siempre las miradas y las manos ajenas no hicieron mas que cosificarla descaradamente ..

"...The “shooting down” photograph had been condemned by some army general. He said it would be bad for the Armed Services for parents to think their daughters might be subjected to the influences of somebody like me—who showed her bosom in public.

I thought this a little mean. I hadn’t meant to show my bosom, and I hadn’t been aware of the camera that was peeping down under my bodice. Of course nobody would believe me ..."

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Not a great literature piece but very insightful. ( )
  nlanthierl | Nov 30, 2014 |

Monroe, Marilynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Greene, JoshuaForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Greene, Milton H.Photographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hecht, BenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I thought the people I lived with were my parents.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,416,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible