From the Edge of the Couch

by Raj Persaud

You may think that vampires and werewolves were merely the stuff of bad Hollywood films and mysterious legends, but as Consultant Psychiatrist Dr Raj Persaud reveals, there are real people out there who believe they are werewolves and vampires. As a result, they behave in ways beyond our most disturbing dreams and the wildest fantasies of imaginative film producers. brain function and emotional disorders - such as that of the man who could only get his sexual kicks by being crushed in garbage trucks, the film fan who embedded dozens of needles into his body in order to become a robot, and those who take dieting to the ultimate limit by obsessively giving blood or eating nothing but toilet paper. suffers believe that one of their own hands is out to harm them - Multiple Personality Disorder, Erotomania and the cases of some women in Turkey whose tears are actually filled with blood, Dr Persaud also suggests that we may not have as much free will and control over our bodies as we would like to believe and provides startling new evidence that these conditions might be more common than sceptical psychiatrists realize.… (more)

Absolutely fascinating and very informative. Changed my perspective and broadened my view in many ways. Highly recommended. ( )
  jillianeb1 | Aug 29, 2010 |
Persaud admitted plagiarism in some parts of this book after it was published, but this is a very good read, and raised some interesting philosophical points. It has been compared to the work of Oliver Sachs, although I wouldn't say it was quite at that standard. There are some very entertaining and fascinating case studies within its pages. ( )
1 vote spaceball | Jan 3, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,442,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible