The Test of Time: What Makes a Classic a…

The Test of Time: What Makes a Classic a Classic? (Books & Authors)

by Andrew Holgate

A number of well-known writers and public figures attempt to answer this, in interesting and often subversive ways. Wish I had read this before reading Literature at University, would have given me more confidence in going against the grain. ( )
  LARA335 | Sep 9, 2012 |
I've pored over this book more times than I care to remember. I've scribbled in it and folded the corners of my favourite pages. It's a book, of lists, of books. Forty seven writers, journalists, publishers and critics were asked to define a 'classic' novel, name ten of their favourite 'classic' novels, and nominate novels that they believe should never have been called 'classics'. The contributors have come up with fascinating lists and descriptions of their favourite novels. All of the nominations are listed at the end of the book, providing you with your own 'to read' list. And of course it's fun going through the list, ticking which novel you've read and whether you agree with the contributor.

I love lists. And I love novels. That's why I love this book. ( )
  argente17 | Feb 18, 2010 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,852,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible