The Lady Chosen by Stephanie Laurens
Tristan, fourth Earl of Trentham, laments his return to England after so much adventure during the Napoleonic Wars. With his fellow bachelors, he founds the Bastion Club for privileged gentlemen committed to avoiding marriage at all cost. But when Tristan learns that he must take a wife within a year or risk losing his inheritance, he is surprised to find himself drawn to his pretty neighbor, Leonora Carling, the recent victim of burglary. Offering to help her identify the scoundrel, he soon makes hie other intentions crystal clear. But Leonora needs some convincing before she fully submits to his lustful advances.… (more)

3.3 stars ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
The Lady Chosen
3 Stars

Never expecting to inherit a title, Tristan Wemyss has spent the majority of his adult life in service to the Crown. As the newly minted Earl of Trentham, he finds himself responsible for numerous estates and several elderly relatives, but requires a bride or he will forfeit the inheritance necessary for their upkeep. Determined to avoid the matchmakers of the ton and choose his own wife, Tristan decides on his charming and vivacious neighbor, Leonora Carling. Now if only he can convince her to give up her independent ways…

The Lady Chosen has incredible potential both in terms of the romance and the suspense plot. Unfortunately, the story is excessively drawn out; the writing is overwrought and the sex scenes (while hot as heck) are as purple as they come.

Tristan and Leonora are both appealing characters even though he can be a tad overbearing, and she has one or two (make that five or six) TSTL moments. Their courtship develops at a steady pace from attraction to intimacy to love, and is ultimately satisfying although it could have concluded more quickly.

Likewise, the secondary storyline involving the mysterious man attempting to break into Leonora's family home is intriguing with some exciting actions scenes. However, it is unnecessarily protracted and the eventual explanation for the crime veers off into the ridiculous.

Despite the issues with her writing, there is something about Laurens's storytelling that has me returning to her novels again and again. The basic premise of a group of military men returning home after war to seek solace in the arms of a woman they love is very enticing, and I look forward to seeing how the other members of the Bastion Club meet their matches. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I liked the story line and loved Tristan but I had to give the book just 3 stars due to the fact that I could not like Leonora. I really tried but just couldn't come around. I have read almost all of her Cynster books and will continue on. ( )
  tiffsaddictiontobook | Jul 18, 2017 |
The book begins with the former spies for the crown meeting after Waterloo and banding together as the Bastion Club to take control of what comes next in their lives.
The publisher's blurb gives clues as to the plot. This is the first in the series, and is not the strongest, but is a very interesting read, nonetheless. It does stand up to the rereading test, as well as the "filched by friends" test. I gave up and got the audio, so I could keep a copy.
Jill Tanner does a good job as narrator, but I would have preferred a baritone. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jul 9, 2016 |
Beginning of the Bastion Club series. Regency England. Tristan is overseeing the renovations on the new Bastion Club's meeting home, and the next door neighbor, Leonora, captures his fancy. There's a mystery man trying to scare Leonora and her family from their home, so of course, Tristan has to step in with his Bastion Club contacts, to solve the mystery and rescue the maiden. ( )
  nancynova | Feb 4, 2016 |

Stephanie Laurensprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tanner, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,541,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible