Trojan Gold (Vicky Bliss Mysteries) by…

Trojan Gold (Vicky Bliss Mysteries) (original 1987; edition 2000)

by Elizabeth Peters

"A picture is worth a thousand words but the photograph art historian Vicky Bliss has just received gives rise to a thousand questions instead. At first glance it appears to be the famous portrait of Frau Schliemann adorned in the gold of Troy. But closer study reveals the picture to be contemporary -- which is odd since Vicky knows the Trojan gold vanished sometime around the end of World War Two. And if she needed further proof that something was terribly amiss, a quick look at the blood-stained envelope the photo arrived in should do the trick. Yet Vicky is not the only expert to receive this mysterious mailing. And the entire circle is gathering for a festive Bavarian Christmas -- one, hopefully, to be made even more festive by the rediscovery of an ancient lost treasure. But the celebration could prove to be short -- and bloody -- courtesy of a very determined killer in their midst"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)
Member:krranky
Title:Trojan Gold (Vicky Bliss Mysteries)
Authors:Elizabeth Peters
Info:Avon (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:**

Trojan Gold by Elizabeth Peters (1987)

Loved the characters and their interpersonal relationships. Great series and will read more of the Vicky Bliss books. ( )
  anglophile65 | May 23, 2017 |
I really love the Vicky Bliss series! Im sad that there are only 6 novels and Ive already read 4. : ( I thought this was a great story especially John professing his love for Vicky but I didnt quite like the ending regarding the Trojan Gold? It just didnt seem right. I felt like i was left with an incomplete story which we pretty much were. : ( ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
It was a slow starter, but got better. ( )
  Aelianna | Jun 5, 2013 |
Listened to the Recorded Books cassette edition. Another fun romp through Europe with Vicky and friends, though I have to admit I found Schmidt rather wearing on this outing and the cast of characters is getting a little crowded. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Vicky Bliss is back in action--this time she doesn't even have to leave Germany. She gets a picture in the mail that looks very much like the famous photograph of Frau Schliemann wearing the Trojan Gold. But it is another woman, and this gets Vicky to thinking that the long missing Trojan gold might be found. Of course, John Smythe is on hand for love and adventure. A good entry in the series. ( )
  susanamper | Sep 13, 2012 |

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dominick with respectful admiration, admiring respect, and much affection
Fire stained the night.
I had never mentioned my aesthetic tastes to John, since he was vain enough already. (Chapter 5 - p.103)
I sat there morosely drinking beer and wondering what the hell John was up to. Oh, I knew part of the performance was designed to calm Tony and persuade him to do what John wanted him to do, i.e., spend the night at the house. He succeeded in the former aim; I saw Tony's frown smooth out, to be replaced by a pseudo-tolerant smile as he studied John's graceful gestures and winning smiles and deceptively slender build. I thought John was overdoing it a bit when he started calling Tony "duckie" and patting him on the arm -- John's great weakness is a tendency to get carried away by a role -- but Tony has the usual prejudices against well-groomed men who bat their eyelashes at him.  (Chapter 5 - pp.120-121)
Like all men, he is quite willing to believe that a young and beautiful girl will adore him when he is eighty. (Chapter 6 - p.137)
Since it was still early, we poked around the shops for a while, and Tony, who was still smarting from what he considered my treacherous behavior, got his revenge by carrying out an act of atrocity from which I had dissuaded him on several previous occasions. He bought a pair of lederhosen.

Lederhosen are those short leather pants. Let me repeat the word "short." They do not come to the knee, or just above the knee, or to mid-thigh; they are, not to belabor the point, short.

(Chapter 6, pp. 142-143)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,577,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible