The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner

The Red Necklace (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Sally Gardner

Member:mrs.jackson
Title:The Red Necklace
Authors:Sally Gardner
Info:Dial (2008), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:historical, fiction, YA

The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner (2007)

Sovay by Celia Rees (megan003, rebecca191)
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska, Baroness Orczy (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: The Scarlet Pimpernel is a (rather slower-paced) adventure series set during the French Revolution. An English spy (one presumes) known as the Scarlet Pimpernel helps break into French jails and spirit aristocratic families away from the bloodthirsty revolutionary mob. Those who enjoyed the build-up to whether Sido would escape may enjoy The Scarlet Pimpernel.… (more)

English (43)  Dutch (1)  All (44)
Interesting premise, but too much of a remake of the Scarlet Pimpernel with super powers. The Scarlet Pimperne ( )
  DelightedLibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |
For a YA novel, this one has a little bit of everything: history, romance, mystery, secrets and magic. Using the lead up to the French Revolution as a basis, Gardner's story has a few unique focuses: a Romany gypsy angle and a sprinkling of magical realism. While the character development isn't all that amazing - I had to remind myself that the book was written with a much younger audience in mind! - I did enjoy the 1780's European setting of Paris and London and the automatons. I found the descriptions of the Paris massacres to paint a rather disturbing mental picture for me, which has me worried as to how a younger reader may react when reading this story.

Overall, a different take on an area of French history that has been the focus of many other books. While a bit far-fetched at time, Gardner's story does provide for a decent YA version of Dickens' sweeping story, A Tale of Two Cities. ( )
  lkernagh | Jul 23, 2017 |
Very good! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Narrated by Carrington MacDuffie. Dwarves, gypsies, automatons, intrigue, greedy nobility, rebellion, murder, threads of light...and a dash of romance. What more could you ask of a book to take you away? Excellent voicework adds plenty of atmosphere to the intrigue of the revolution. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Red Necklace by Sally Gardner has been on my TBR list ever since I saw the cover. No matter my quibbles with the novel that cover is a winner! By itself it deserves to have 5 stars. It enticed me to listen to the book so whoever designed it should get a raise.

This is another YA novel that can't quite decide what it wants to be. Is it historical fiction? Is it fantasy? The historical fiction parts of the book are well done. The author says that she deviated from the historical record in several places and I don't have a problem with that. Sometimes authors have to do that in order to place the characters in the historical events when there may be no historically accurate way to do it. I can excuse that. However, this novel adds in elements of fantasy that don't seem to fit and come out of nowhere in the middle of the book. As a reader this sudden addition of fantasy elements just didn't seem to fit and created confusion for me as reader. I didn't appreciate that. Personally, I think that the historical novel portions with its shades of Dickensian Tale of Two Cities could have stood on its own without the introduction of the magic. But that is just my opinion. The author obviously had other ideas.

This is a novel that many YA's would like and perhaps could lead them to read the classics of this Scaramouche sub-genre. Titles like Scaramouche and the Scarlet Pimpernel. I suspect that they might want to read this title for the same reason I did - the cover. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jan 23, 2016 |

Set during the French Revolution, Gardner's epic and tautly plotted tale engages readers from the start with its combination of romance and history, mystery and magic. Yann Magoza, an orphan, travels with entertainers who use supernatural powers in their act. As the novel opens, Yann and his companions are brought to a marquis's chateau, where Yann has a brief but fateful meeting with the foolish and cruel marquis's brave daughter, Sidonie, and where the marquis's associate, a scheming count, brutally but cleverly murders one of the magicians. The pace retains this thrilling momentum all the way through the heart-stopping climax. The novel paints vivid, convincing pictures of the Revolution: characters glimpse the massed thousands of Parisian women marching to Versailles, pitchforks in hand, demanding bread, and mobs setting upon suspected aristocrats. Suspenseful, complex and haunting
added by kthomp25 | editPublishers Weekly Reviews

Sally Gardnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hiddleston, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macduffie, CarringtonReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Putler, AndrewAuthor photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veldkamp, TjitskeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Weavel

my darling brother Stephen, the first person I ever told my stories to.

This is for you. I hope you enjoy it.

With all my love

Turtle
This is Paris; here the winds of change are blowing, whispering their discontent into the very hearts of her citizens.
Chapter One: Here, then, is where our story starts, in a run-down theater on the rue du Temple, with a boy called Yann Margoza, who was born with a gift for knowing what people wre thinking, and an uncanny ability to throw his voice.

Clever and head-turningly attractive, fourteen-yearold Yann is an orphan who has been raised in Paris by Têtu, a dwarf with secrets he has yet to reveal to the gypsy boy. It's the winter of 1789, and the duo have been working for a vain magician named Topolain. On the night when Topolain's vanity brings his own death, Yann's life truly begins. That's the night he meets shy Sido, an heiress with an ice-cold father, a young girl who has only known loneliness until now. Though they have the shortest of conversations, an attachment is born that will influence both their paths.

And what paths those will be! Revolution is afoot in France, and Sido is being used as a pawn. Only Yann will dare to rescue her, and he'll be up against a fearful villain who goes by the name Count Kalliovski, but who has often been called the devil. It'll take all of Yann's newly discovered talent to unravel the mysteries of his past and Sido's and to fight the devilish count.

As in the award-winning I, Coriander, Sally Gardner has masterfully combined the historical and the fantastical in this sumptuous, riveting adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:50 -0400)

In the late eighteenth-century, Sido, the twelve-year-old daughter of a self-indulgent marquis, and Yann, a fourteen-year-old Gypsy orphan raised to perform in a magic show, face a common enemy at the start of the French Revolution.

Sally Gardner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,550,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible