dismiss

Dune by Frank Herbert

Dune (original 1965; edition 1982)

by Frank Herbert

30,37047262 (4.28)3 / 883
Here is the novel that will be forever considered a triumph of the imagination. Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, who would become the mysterious man known as Muad'Dib. He would avenge the traitorous plot against his noble family-and would bring to fruition humankind's most ancient and unattainable dream. A stunning blend of adventure and mysticism, environmentalism and politics, Dune won the first Nebula Award, shared the Hugo Award, and formed the basis of what it undoubtedly the grandest epic in science fiction.… (more)
Member:Jisi
Title:Dune
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (1982), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Tags:SciFi

Dune by Frank Herbert (1965)

Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Patangel, JonTheTerrible, philAbrams)
    JonTheTerrible: The pace of these books are similar as well as the topics they cover: society and government. The science plays only a small role in both books but is present enough to successfully build the worlds in which the characters inhabit.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Gateway by Frederik Pohl (Vonini)
    The Faded Sun Trilogy by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Same basic sort of premise - SciFi set on desert worlds inspires the rise of a galactic empire, but very different outcomes!
    Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Both books are a subtle blend of science fiction and fantasy while being truly epic stories. Although Dune remains a superior literary achievement in my view, Silverberg's Majipoor series is a credible alternative.
    A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski (Anonymous user)
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the description of the planet.
    The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Ecological science fiction.
    Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different in tone, but similar in scope, plus it's also about the lengths to which empires will go to maintain the status quo.
    Singularity Sky by Charles Stross (hyper7)
    hyper7: Singularity Sky could have been set in the Dune universe.
    The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Similar tropes in the form of human computers and a native species capable of granting youth, and the powerful woman trying to breed a special child- The Snow Queen seems on one level a response to Dune, taking many of the same elements and twisting them around, while going in quite different directions in other ways.… (more)
    Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve (themulhern)
    themulhern: Duncan Idaho is not so unlike Kit Solent
    The King Must Die & The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault (themulhern)
    themulhern: Young man with special powers and noble blood overthrows the established order through cunning and charisma. In the process he changes his people and then the rot sets in.
    Marrow by Robert Reed (Sandwich76)
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (sturlington)
    The Lazarus Effect by Frank Herbert (d_perlo)
    d_perlo: So you have read Frank Herbert's Dune series and want more? Thy The Lazarus Effect, The Jesus Incident, and The Ascension Factor, also by Frank Herbert. This is his take on a water world.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Broken God by David Zindell (whiten06)
    whiten06: Another coming-of-age story with the protagonist gaining god-like knowledge through the use of hallucinogens.
    The Enterprise of Death by Jesse Bullington (Sandwich76)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.

1960s (19)

English (461)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (468)
In brief: Baron Harkonnen outmaneuvers himself when he assassinates House Atreides, mostly because he doesn’t get Paul or his mother—and Paul, it turns out, is the subject of prophecy on Arakkis.

Thoughts: I’m beginning to think I’m either not cut out for sci-fi classics or am too young, because once again I didn’t find this as life-changing as the talk has led me to believe. There’s some cool space opera-y stuff, and some darn cool ecological science stuff, and an interesting culture and a nasty villain, so this isn’t a bad book for me. Just … I never handle time-skips well, and I don’t generally deal well with subtext and political intrigue, and Dune has both those in spades. Also, I never really identified with Paul? I can see why this might’ve been a groundbreaking book at the time, and it holds up okay, but … not for me.

6/10 ( )
  NinjaMuse | Jul 1, 2020 |
So it took me a while to get through Dune. Not because I don't absolutely love this book, but because I was reading it in between finishing up some other books this past week.

I first read Dune back in high school. I was in my junior year of high school and it was the last week of school before Summer vacation. I don't know about any other people here but the last week of school in my small town meant that we had nothing to do but watch really bad movies or just read quietly to ourselves before the next period.

FYI this is also how I first became aware of Monty Python.

So during my science teacher's class I got bored and started to examine the bookshelves he had in class. He had books just jam cracked in his shelves. I remember reaching out and wondering what this book at the time was and saw the title Dune.

Now my now dearly departed father was a huge science fiction and horror fan. In fact I have him to thank for introducing me to Stephen King and also tons of really weird and awesome science fiction films like "Enemy Mine", "Blade Runner", "Alien", and of course my beloved "Star Wars".

So by this time in my life I had seen the movie "Dune" with Kyle MacLachlan and fell a bit in love with him when I was all of 9 years old. "Dune" came out in 1984 but since I was all of 4 years old at the time I imagine my mom put her foot down about my father allowing us kids to watch that with us. I just remember being older and finding the Baron quite disgusting and felt ill watching him in his hover chair.

So though I recall Dune I remember not being too impressed with the movie overall (yes even at 8 I was critical) and being confused by all of the goings on and what the heck was so important about spice and what in the world were the Bene Gesserits.

So at 16 bored in class I remember being surprised that the movie I saw as a kid was actually a book. My science teacher at the time saw me studying the book and reading the book jacket and came over and told me "That there will open your mind". I of course being 16 rolled my eyes back at him. He told me to enjoy and read it while in class that week but he was going to start packing up the books on Thursday. I remember shrugging and saying okay and I started to read...and my mind was opened.

I fell head long into a book that was pretty much like Star Wars but with even more machinations going on. Things that the movie depicted that never made sense to me were now fully explained. I understood the Bene Gesserits. Felt for young Paul Atreides and wondered at the strength of Lady Jessica and Chani. For all else I can say about this book I say that is is truly a study of a strong group of women at its core.

Broken into three parts the book is divided into Dune, Muad'Dib, and The Prophet.

Each chapter has a portion of a book that we later find out is written by the Emperor's oldest daughter Irulan. At the time readers will wonder who this Irulan is and why she is so focused on recording the history of the house Atreides, Muad'Dib, and others important to him.

The book does move fast (yes I say this though it is 793 pages (no I am not counting the appendices in that) and you have to stop and catch your breath at some times. I find the parts showing Paul, Lady Jessica, and all that they did to survive on Arrakis thrilling. You can't help but hold your breath since every move that they make, everything that they say can possibly get them killed.

The parts of the novel that I found slow and boring were the chapters depicting Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. All those chapters did was make me read quicker to get back to what was going on with Paul and how was he coping.

I do remember trying to start to read Dune Messiah years later but I have no idea what I did with that book when I moved away after college. I am planning on continuing to read the rest of this series over the next few years.

Ultimately Dune reminds me why I love science fiction movies and books so much. I wish that someone would possibly try to re-do Dune again in movie form or make it a series on HBO or Showtime that can possibly showcase the brilliancy of the novel. I know that the SyFy Channel (I still hate the name change) a couple of years back started doing all of the Dune books as a miniseries. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
He does all of the, "Paul, as you well know, the... explanatory world building bit." which is a naff trope in Sci-fi. And he explains the plot in advance of it happening.

So it's weird to say neither matters. It's a good read and I was happy to ignore those tropes at first and stopped noticing them after a while. The gender roles haven't aged well, but the ecological ideas are still interesting as is the of-it's-time religous interpretations.

For more reviews of 50 year old classics like this, hit subscribe below.
  thenumeraltwo | Jun 27, 2020 |
Wet behind the ears
damp boy becomes sandy man
worming his way up. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
For the first fifty pages of this, I was thinking around a 1.5 star rating, because it was pure exposition about people with confusing names, whom I didn't care about in the slightest. By halfway through, it was sitting around a 3.5 star rating, and I thought it could either go up half a star if the ending was good, or down a star if it wasn't. I think the end result is 3 stars.

On the whole, the writing was quite good, and I liked the ideas surrounding the desert planet and the life of the Fremen. I still didn't care about most of the characters, though, especially Paul, and I felt a lot like the book was three times as long as it needed to be, especially as nothing ends with any kind of finality, presumably because the other Dune books were already planned.

Mostly, though, I struggled with the representation of women in the universe. I know the book was written a while ago, but women in the sixties still had way more autonomy and choices and respect than those in this book. I totally get dystopian futures in which there are pointed depictions of misogynistic societies, but here it's not remotely pointed or commented upon. Women are wives, concubines, mothers and witches and that's it. It's such a backwards picture of the future (emphasised by the use of both medieval and ancient Roman social and political structures) and I really expect more from my science fiction. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Why is Blanch’s influence on Dune worth recognizing? Celebrating Blanch is not a means to discredit Herbert, whose imaginative novel transcends the sum of its influences. But Dune remains massively popular while The Sabres of Paradise languishes in relative obscurity, and renewed public interest in Blanch’s forgotten history would be a welcome development.

Isaac Asimov’s Foundation trilogy was famously inspired by Edward Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. J. R. R. Tolkien’s background in medieval languages helped shape the mythology of Middle Earth. Frank Herbert’s Dune is no different, and rediscovering one of the book’s most significant influences is a rewarding experience.

One of the monuments of modern science fiction.
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune

Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dune (1984IMDb)
Dune (2000IMDb)
To the people whose labors go beyond ideas into the realm of "real materials" - to the dry-land ecologists, wherever they may be, in whatever time they work, this effort at prediction is dedicated in humility and admiration.
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct... from "Manual of Muad'dib" by the Princess Irulan
In the week before their departure to Arakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
The thing the ecologically illiterate don't realize about an ecosystem is that it's a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained miss the collapse until too late. That's why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences.
The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows — a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition. Languages known to have multiple-volumes: French, German,

Set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary fiefdoms are controlled by noble Houses that owe an allegiance to the Imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides and scion of House Atreides) as he and his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the spice melange, the most important and valuable substance in the universe. The story explores the complex and multilayered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion, as forces of the Empire confront each other for control of Arrakis and its spice.

AR 5.7, 28 Pts
Foretold one gets dumped
in desert, then goes native.
Returns, beats baddies!
(ed.pendragon)
Fear the mind killer
Worm vomit expands the mind
Kwisatz Haderach
(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,626,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible