Dune by Frank Herbert

Dune (original 1965; edition 2012)

by Frank Herbert (Author)

43,32668544 (4.26)7 / 1077
Fiction. Science Fiction. HTML:

NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE directed by Denis Villeneuve, starring Timothe Chalamet, Josh Brolin, Jason Momoa, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Javier Bardem, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgrd, and Charlotte Rampling.
Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, who would become the mysterious man known as Muad'dib. He would avenge the traitorous plot against his noble familyand would bring to fruition humankind's most ancient and unattainable dream.
A stunning blend of adventure and mysticism, environmentalism and politics, Dune won the first Nebula Award, shared the Hugo Award, and formed the basis of what is undoubtedly the grandest epic in science fiction. Frank Herbert's death in 1986 was a tragic loss, yet the astounding legacy of his visionary fiction will live forever.

.… (more)
Member:xanomon
Title:Dune
Authors:Frank Herbert (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2012)
Rating:*****

Work Information

Dune by Frank Herbert (1965)

Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Patangel, JonTheTerrible, philAbrams)
    JonTheTerrible: The pace of these books are similar as well as the topics they cover: society and government. The science plays only a small role in both books but is present enough to successfully build the worlds in which the characters inhabit.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    The Faded Sun Trilogy: Kesrith, Shon'jir, and Kutath by C. J. Cherryh (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Same basic sort of premise - SciFi set on desert worlds inspires the rise of a galactic empire, but very different outcomes!
    Gateway by Frederik Pohl (Vonini)
    A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski (Anonymous user)
    Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Both books are a subtle blend of science fiction and fantasy while being truly epic stories. Although Dune remains a superior literary achievement in my view, Silverberg's Majipoor series is a credible alternative.
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the description of the planet.
    Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different in tone, but similar in scope, plus it's also about the lengths to which empires will go to maintain the status quo.
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (sturlington)
    The King Must Die & The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault (themulhern)
    themulhern: Young man with special powers and noble blood overthrows the established order through cunning and charisma. In the process he changes his people and then the rot sets in.
    The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Ecological science fiction.
    The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Similar tropes in the form of human computers and a native species capable of granting youth, and the powerful woman trying to breed a special child- The Snow Queen seems on one level a response to Dune, taking many of the same elements and twisting them around, while going in quite different directions in other ways.… (more)
    Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve (themulhern)
    themulhern: Duncan Idaho is not so unlike Kit Solent
    Marrow by Robert Reed (Sandwich76)
    Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri (susanbooks)
    Singularity Sky by Charles Stross (hyper7)
    hyper7: Singularity Sky could have been set in the Dune universe.
    The Broken God by David Zindell (whiten06)
    whiten06: Another coming-of-age story with the protagonist gaining god-like knowledge through the use of hallucinogens.
    The Lazarus Effect by Frank Herbert (d_perlo)
    d_perlo: So you have read Frank Herbert's Dune series and want more? Thy The Lazarus Effect, The Jesus Incident, and The Ascension Factor, also by Frank Herbert. This is his take on a water world.
    Pillar of the Sky by Cecelia Holland (themulhern)
    themulhern: Illegitimate offspring of an extraordinary woman with occult powers himself comes to power and changes the world of all who come into contact with him.
    The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.

1960s (15)
Ranking (46)
BitLife (108)

English (664)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  German (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (683)
Vivid and engaging. The world Herbert built is balanced and unique, the characters strong and the story moving! ( )
  LaPhenix | Jul 8, 2024 |
It's pretty easy to see the similarities to Star Wars. Clearly this was an influence for George Lucas. ( )
  Steve_Gurney | Jul 5, 2024 |

My friend Laleh’s review (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4955092306) starts: “I’m not quite sure why I expected to dislike one of the most popular science fiction books of all time, but I did.” I felt the same, going in. When Denis’s DUNE came out a few years back, people raved. I kept hearing, “you’ve just GOT to see it on a big screen!” Sometimes when things are universally loved and praised, and I’m told how perfect they are, I have a spiteful urge to abstain. I didn’t go see the movie. Eventually, when I watched it on my TV at home, nothing really stood out to me. The second movie *did* get to me and I really enjoyed it.

Thus, the book. I found myself thinking a lot about the adaptation choices that Denis made in his (so far) two films. Most of these are quite interesting! Only a little of the complex webs between characters are lost, and sometimes for the better. I heard once that the book has so much inner narration that it would be “unadaptable” — but I think Denis proves otherwise. Reflecting on the two parts of Denis’s film and my first read of the book, I think the adaptive choices made work.

I am impressed at how this book jumps from character to character seamlessly and in a way that does not cause confusion or consternation. There is an interweaving theme of ‘plans within plans within plans’ and ‘feints within feints within feints’ and the reader is aware and unaware of these at all times, often not overtly.

At an event recently, I asked an author (of a different book) about a choice they made to start a novel in such a way as to be confusing. The author explained that they wanted the reader to be confused. They went on to say that they didn’t like the notion that writing had to be accessible to everyone or easy to read. I can’t quote the person exactly because this has been a few weeks ago, but I’ve been thinking about their statements. I didn’t agree in the moment, and after reading Dune I feel even more sure of my belief. Writers can create confusion and a sense of unknowing without making the reader frustrated and feeling stupid. This is something the author at the event—in my view—failed at. It’s something Herbert demonstrates mastery at in Dune.

I started reading with some concern that the films would overwhelm my imaginings of characters and locations. I didn’t have this problem, in fact I found myself thinking a little more about Lynch’s Dune than Denis’s (and even then, little, as I’ve only seen stills). My mental illustration of the Baron Harkonnen is remarkably different from that in Denis’s film (I had a lot of trouble shaking Stellan’s incredible accent, though). The one character/casting I had trouble dislodging was Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck. I resisted it at first, but in the end found that I really like the casting and enjoyed it even more as I continued reading.

Another friend asked me, early in my reading, if I found the book too philosophic. I hadn’t encountered much of the philosophy in the book, yet. Or, I had but didn’t detect it. In the far past I subjected myself to Ayn Rand’s scribbles and thus often forget that philosophy doesn’t have to be in-your-face monologuing for a hundred pages. Herbert weaves in a lot, sometimes in-your-face (“an old B-G axiom:..”), sometimes with subtlety. I found I enjoyed these little tidbits, and enjoyed sorting through the broader philosophical exploration of identity.

I will certainly read, at least, Dune Messiah, if only because the ending to this book is so abrupt. I almost feel it incomplete, as though there’s a missing coda.

—Mild story details follow—

“No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero,” a character says. Throughout much of the book, Paul Atreides contends with visions and his overriding desire to prevent them. The book has ideas on identity, prophecy, and most of all self-fulfilling prophecy. The way Herbert weaves these together is splendid. There is a time jump that covers a lot of work, and I wish we’d gotten to experience some of what is in there. There are several key events that I think a reader could point to as a “moment of transformation” for a certain character, but I don’t know that there is any one moment. I think we experience a gradual building of ethos and a look at the way in which the stories we tell others become the stories we tell ourselves, and how quickly these can cause us to betray ourselves.

I was not planning to read the other books in the series, but I feel compelled to at least read Messiah. As much as I enjoyed the book, especially the last few hundred pages, it comes to an abrupt stop that left me a little bumfuzzled. ( )
  ThomasEB | Jul 4, 2024 |
Dunno what the hell Frank Herberts point was half the time but the worms were really cool. ( )
  SaltyPitchfork | Jun 30, 2024 |

Sowers, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toivonen, AnjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weber, SamIllustrator, cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Dune (1)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Awards

Distinctions

Notable Lists

A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows. To begin your study of the life of Muad'Dib, then, take care that you first place him in his time: born in the 57th year of the Padishah Emperor, Shaddam IV. And take the most special care that you locate Muad'Dib in his place: the planet Arrakis. Do not be deceived by the fact that he was born on Caladan and lived his first fifteen years there. Arrakis, the planet known as Dune, is forever his place.
from "Manual of Muad'dib" by the Princess Irulan
To the people whose labors go beyond ideas into the realm of "real materials" - to the dry-land ecologists, wherever they may be, in whatever time they work, this effort at prediction is dedicated in humility and admiration.
In the week before their departure to Arakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
The thing the ecologically illiterate don't realize about an ecosystem is that it's a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained miss the collapse until too late. That's why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences.
The willow submits to the wind and prospers until one day it is many willows — a wall against the wind. This is the willow's purpose.
If you are combining a translated copy please check carefully as in some languages this book was split into two volumes. In some languages there is a single volume edition and a split edition - you should only combine the single volume edition with the English edition. Languages known to have multiple-volumes: French, German,
Fiction. Science Fiction. HTML:

Set in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary fiefdoms are controlled by noble Houses that owe an allegiance to the Imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides and scion of House Atreides) as he and his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the spice melange, the most important and valuable substance in the universe. The story explores the complex and multilayered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion, as forces of the Empire confront each other for control of Arrakis and its spice.

AR 5.7, 28 Pts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Herbert, Frank, 1920-1986.
Ο πλανήτης Dune-Τόμος 1 / Φρανκ Χέρμπερτ · μετάφραση Γ. Κουσουνέλος. - Αθήνα : SPACE Ε.Π.Ε., 1989. - 277σ. · 18x11εκ. - (Cosmos: Επιστημονική Φαντασία · 022)
gre
Γλώσσα πρωτοτύπου: αγγλικά
Τίτλος πρωτοτύπου: Dune, 1965
(Μαλακό εξώφυλλο) [Εξαντλημένο]
813.54
Herbert, Frank, 1920-1986.
Ο πλανήτης Dune-Τόμος 1I / Φρανκ Χέρμπερτ · μετάφραση Γ. Κουσουνέλος. - Αθήνα : SPACE Ε.Π.Ε., 1989. - 384σ. · 18x11εκ. - (Cosmos: Επιστημονική Φαντασία · 022)
gre
Γλώσσα πρωτοτύπου: αγγλικά
Τίτλος πρωτοτύπου: Dune, 1965
(Μαλακό εξώφυλλο) [Εξαντλημένο]
813.54
Foretold one gets dumped
in desert, then goes native.
Returns, beats baddies!
(ed.pendragon)
Fear the mind killer
Worm vomit expands the mind
Kwisatz Haderach
(amweb)

Current Discussions

Dune Limited Edition in Folio Society Devotees

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,682,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible