The Invention of Everything Else by Samantha…

The Invention of Everything Else (edition 2009)

by Samantha Hunt (Author)

6214130,510 (3.57)1 / 106
New York City thrums with energy, wonder, and possibility in this magical novel about the life of Nikola Tesla. It is 1943, and the renowned inventor Nikola Tesla occupies a forbidden room on the 33rd floor of the Hotel New Yorker, stealing electricity. Louisa, a young maid at the hotel determined to befriend him, wins his attention through a shared love of pigeons; with her we hear his tragic and tremendous life story unfold. Meanwhile, Louisa discovers that her father--and her handsome, enigmatic love interest, Arthur Vaughan--are on an unlikely mission to travel back in time and find his beloved late wife. A masterful hybrid of history, biography, and science fiction, "The Invention of Everything Else" is an absorbing story about love and death and a wonderfully imagined homage to one of history's most visionary scientists.… (more)
Member:Jsam
Title:The Invention of Everything Else
Authors:Samantha Hunt (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2009), Edition: First, 272 pages

Work Information

The Invention of Everything Else by Samantha Hunt

English (40)  Dutch (1)  All languages (41)
In the 1940s, Louisa, a young New York City hotel maid who lives alone with her father, meets Nikola Tesla, who has been living in the hotel for some time. The narration shifts back and forth between Louisa's tale, Tesla's past, and bits of Tesla's memoirs, which Louisa finds and reads. All of it is wonderful, and I don't want to say anything else about the story lest I give something away. However, I will mention that the historically minded may be pleased, as I was, to find end notes pointing to sources for the historically accurate parts of the book.

JohnNienart | Jul 11, 2021 |
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I've enjoyed Hunt's other work. The premise seemed neat, but the writing just didn't do it for me consistently. It was similar to Lydia Millet's Oh Pure and Radiant Heart (time travel, the great scientific minds of the nuclear era, birds, the potential destruction of humanity), which I also didn't much like, so maybe there's something about this very specific story type that I'm just predisposed to feel meh about. It's a fine book, it just didn't tick every box for me. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
The writing is evocative, haunting and just overall amazing. This is my second book by this author and I have learned that you can't expect a plot. She writes stories for the sake of telling a story. If you expect a conclusion or a purpose to the story, you won't find one. If that's what you are looking for, you should still read this author. You won't get that, but you will get to read writing that is mesmerizing. ( )
  grandpahobo | Nov 15, 2020 |
I wanted to like this book more than I did. It was beautiful in concept, containing a genius (real-life) scientist, time-travel, romance, and espionage, but somehow I had trouble staying interested. The narrative jumped around a lot and was mostly written in present tense, which I found oddly off-putting. The writing was swirly and ambiguous, filled with ambitious metaphors. But still, I'm not sure why I wasn't captivated by this book and the beautiful writing. The author did an excellent job of bringing 1940's NYC to life, but somehow it was all still too dreamy and hard to pin down at times. I found myself skimming paragraphs just to finish the story and find out what happens at the end. Maybe I'm getting too used to reading children's novels? ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
Occasionally great. Much of the writing falls just off target, just shy of home. Tesla himself is pretty expertly drawn, but everyone else fades in and out. Fun, pretty good book. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
Hunt’s prose is spirited, witty, and—dare I say it—inventive, but it’s also pricked with doubt and the bare, cold fact of loss. Again and again, this novel reminds us that even our best creative energies fail more often than they succeed.

Everything that can be invented has been invented
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner,
U.S. Patent Office, 1899
For Joe
Lightning first, then the thunder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,289,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible