Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 1…

Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 1 (edition 2003)

by Masami Tsuda (Author)

Series: Kare Kano (1)

After Soichiro threatens Yukino's status as most popular, Yukino tries to regain her idol like popularity, struggling with her own inner problems while they develop a unique relationship. Yukino lives for praise and popularity, unwilling to share the spotlight with anyone. But trouble comes in the form of a new boy at school who can do no wrong. She sees him as her archrival; he sees her as a fake, especially when he discovers her true persona. She'll do anything to destroy him, until he tells her he loves her.… (more)
Member:Lyssy
Title:Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 1
Authors:Masami Tsuda (Author)
Info:Tokyopop (2003), Edition: Gph, 192 pages

Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Volume 1 by Masami Tsuda

Emma, Volume 1 by Kaoru Mori (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two slow-building romance stories that follow our characters' lives and the challenges of day-to-day life that our heroine and hero must overcome.
    Kanojo ga Kare ni Ochiru Riyuu by 七尾 美緒 (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: story paneling create the same feel
    Boys Over Flowers, Volume 1 by Yoko Kamio (HollyMS)
    Hana-Kimi, Vol. 1 by Hisaya Nakajo (HollyMS)
    Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki Takaya (HollyMS)

There's a bit less comedy in this volume then there is in the anime - and I'd definitely consider that a detriment to the work, rather then a bonus. I still enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say that this was superior to the show.

Also, the volume takes a weird detour away from the main story to two other characters which didn't appear at any point in the show. Is this just a one-and-done chapter to pad the volume, or something else? ( )
  Count_Zero | Jul 7, 2020 |

Genre: Manga
Pages: 192
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Yukino Miyazawa is an average girl who works excessively hard to present a perfect social image. Her true identity is discovered by her rival, Soichiro Arima who blackmails her into helping him maintain his status as the perfect student. Their interactions cause Yukino to fall in love with Soichiro who likewise, discovers his true personality under his stoic facade. Soichiro begins to express angst in his new personality, believing he will become like his abusive parents. However, Yukino comforts him and Soichiro confesses his love to her in response.

There is a smaller second story about a young woman who hides because she is afraid and a young man who accidentally gets involved in her life. She begins to learn to not be afraid and he begins to learn to think about other people instead of just brushing them aside.

My Thoughts:

Given that this is my third time reading this you'd think I'd remember more beyond knowing it is a highschool drama. But nope, not a bleeding thing. So this was like reading it for the first time.

First off, I appear to have a soft spot for highschool drama, even while castigating it and rolling my eyes. Otherwise I can't explain why I enjoyed this so much. Two 15 year olds filled with young pride and angst learning to navigate Life and thinking that nobody before them has ever encountered the same horrible problems that are currently destroying their lives. Hahahahahaa.

I am not expecting to be able to make it through the whole series even while I really enjoyed this volume. The second couple's story I think sets the theme for the whole series. The two main characters and their issues and then side stories about ancillary characters.

Not a bad way to spend an hour or so.

★★★★☆ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 2, 2019 |
2007 Review:

Kare Kano #1-3 (His & Her Circumstances) "perfect" girl meets "perfect" guy. Both discover the other is a fake, fall in love and try to balance school, being perfect and being themselves."
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Review- A cute and funny high school romance. Yukino's inner thoughts are great but I wanted more from Soichiro. Towards the end of the volume we get to see some into his tragic past but I want more character development from him in the next volume. Yukino has some great development in this first volume. And I believe that her changes are real. She has to deal with someone getting to see the 'real' her that she is not proud of and what that means to her. Of course young love makes everything more dramatic but it was a fun read and I am looking forward to seeing where this long series goes.

I give this volume a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money. ( )
  lrainey | May 4, 2016 |
Cute, sweet shojo manga. I love the artwork and the characters. ( )
  bostonbibliophile | Aug 3, 2007 |

Masami Tsudaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Niida, JackTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Sometimes, I wonder how other people see me.
DO NOT COMBINE with the bunko printing. There are 21 volumes in this printing, and 10 volumes in the bunko. This volume contains Acts 1-3.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,883,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible