The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (original 1951; edition 2001)

by J.D. Salinger

54,7118868 (3.82)3 / 982
Member:rtrapnell
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J.D. Salinger
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback, 288 pages

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (1951)

1950s (9)
Read (34)
Satire (41)
Read (2)

English (823)  Spanish (17)  French (10)  Italian (10)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Croatian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Icelandic (1)  All (881)
Simply could not get thru this book. Stream of consciousness always seems to impress reviewers but this ADD young man wasn't even particularly interesting, at least to me. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
I strongly recommend this book. Specially indicated for everyone interested in knowing about younger's problems and interests. ( )
  Escher67 | Apr 18, 2018 |
A depressed teenager wanders around New York City.

Okay. It's a fast read. And as annoying a person as Holden would be in reality, he's sad and reasonably interesting to read about. ( )
  comfypants | Apr 10, 2018 |
Reading about a sad, grieving, on-the-edge teenager falling apart is not a fun read, necessarily, but I wanted to understand why Holden Caulfield is an iconic character of disaffected youth. And since I hadn't read the book since high school, I thought I would give it another go. At the start of the novel, Caulfield is clearly falling apart, flunking out of one school after another and doing things purposefully to alienate him from his friends and classmates. He's dissatisfied with everything and everyone and can't decide what he wants (whether it's a drink, a prostitute, or a reunion with his sister) from one moment to the next. The saddest part to me was that he was surrounded by people during his breakdown and it was mostly strangers who noticed that something was not okay.
(Of course, the Lit teacher in me needs to point out that Caulfield is telling his own story, and we can't particularly TRUST his voice)
What makes me not like this book has nothing to do with the book itself, but rather the reception of the book and character. Caulfield is often referenced as a beloved character, and books and movies still use his personality as a starting point for writing new stories. But Holden is so sad. He's desperate and discontent. There is little in his pathetic life to recommend him as a character to emulate, so I don't get why people continue to try to do so. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
This books was ok. It was an interesting read, but I cannot say that I would read it again. The storyline just wasn't something that kept my undivided attention. One thing that I liked about the book is the fact that it is written in 1st person. I feel like it is so much easier to understand since we are hearing the story from Holden himself. The readers are able to really get of glimpse of how Holden was feeling all throughout his life. We learn of his experiences first hand, which is the beauty of first-person language. This book is usually recommended for high schoolers. I would say that this is most appropriate for upperclassmen. The language gets pretty vulgar and certain topics such as alcohol, prostitution and depression are discussed. It definitely calls for a more mature crown. I didn't really like how the book ended. I just feel like the ending was a bit pointless. There didn't seem like much of a resolution, just a sudden end to the book. One lesson that I took away from this book is that if we live in the past, we will not be able to move successfully in the future. Holden was so stuck on the pain from his brother's death that he became an unproductive member of society. ( )
  Sotis1 | Mar 27, 2018 |
“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move.... Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.
The hero-narrator of The Catcher in the Rye is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices-but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle it to keep.

J.D. Salinger's classic novel of teenage angst and rebellion was first published in 1951. The novel was included on Time's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels written since 1923. It was named by Modern Library and its readers as one of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. It has been frequently challenged in the court for its liberal use of profanity and portrayal of sexuality and in the 1950's and 60's it was the novel that every teenage boy wants to read.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316769177, Paperback)

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Story of Holden Caulfield with his idiosyncrasies, penetrating insight, confusion, sensitivity and negativism. The hero-narrator of "The Catcher in the Rye" is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty, but almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices--but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle to keep it.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,770,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible