The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (edition 2001)

by J. D. Salinger (Author)

64,736103414 (3.79)3 / 1090
In an effort to escape the hypocrisies of life at his boarding school, sixteen-year-old Holden Caulfield seeks refuge in New York City. "The hero-narrator of 'The Catcher in the Rye' is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices -- but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle it to keep"--Jacket.… (more)
Member:Cosmicpylons
Title:The Catcher in the Rye
Authors:J. D. Salinger (Author)
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reissue, 288 pages

Work Information

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

1950s (9)
Read (34)
Cooper (41)
Teens (3)
Read (3)

English (959)  Spanish (20)  Italian (11)  French (11)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Croatian (1)  Slovak (1)  Portuguese (1)  Finnish (1)  Icelandic (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (1,026)
I had to read this in English class, but I never liked it. ( )
  NickNaame | Nov 9, 2022 |
اولین کتابی بود که به زبان اصلی می‌خوندم و به همین خاطر خیلی طول کشید، اما با شخصیت هولدن (برخلاف چیزی که شنیده بودم که می‌گفتند یه نوجوان سرکشه) خیلی ارتباط برقرار کردم و به همین خاطر خیلی رمان رو دوست داشتم. ( )
  Mahdi.Lotfabadi | Oct 16, 2022 |
Read first when I was 15, and still my favorite book of all-time. I should read it again soon. ( )
  oranje | Oct 13, 2022 |
Poor Holden. He's completely disillusioned with the world and spiraling into depression. I can sympathize with him even if I don't necessarily agree with his views. Salinger gets inside his head very convincingly and really manages to capture the voice of a cynical teenager. But, I didn't like this book. There were some funny parts and some cute parts (like Holden with his younger sister) but overall it's not very enjoyable to read. Maybe because of the way Holden is (he sees everything through a negative lens and obsesses over how awful and phony everything is), his narration drags on and on and he often repeats himself, making this a rather tedious book. ( )
1 vote serru | Oct 6, 2022 |
Holden Caulfield can't feel that his adolescent life is going very well. He doesn't seem to be getting any help about figuring it out. We are brought to understand the depth of his confusion, and share in it. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 20, 2022 |
“Holden Caulfield is supposed to be this paradigmatic teenager we can all relate to, but we don’t really speak this way or talk about these things,” Ms. Levenson said, summarizing a typical response. At the public charter school where she used to teach, she said, “I had a lot of students comment, ‘I can’t really feel bad for this rich kid with a weekend free in New York City.’ ”

"Some of my best friends are children," says Jerome David Salinger, 32. "In fact, all of my best friends are children." And Salinger has written short stories about his best friends with love, brilliance and 20-20 vision. In his tough-tender first novel, The Catcher in the Rye (a Book-of-the-Month Club midsummer choice), he charts the miseries and ecstasies of an adolescent rebel, and deals out some of the most acidly humorous deadpan satire since the late great Ring Lardner.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jul 16, 1951)

Holden's story is told in Holden's own strange, wonderful language by J. D. Salinger in an unusually brilliant novel.

This Salinger, he's a short story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. This book though, it's too long. Gets kind of monotonous. And he should've cut out a lot about these jerks and all at that crumby school. They depress me.

Salinger, J. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zhongxu, SunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To my mother
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want the truth."
I'm quite illiterate but I read a lot.
You don’t have to think too hard when you talk to teachers.
I do not even like ... cars... I’d rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.”
I always pick a gorgeous time to fall over a suitcase or something.
The best thing, though, in that museum was that everything always stayed right where it was. Nobody'd move.... Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you.

The hero-narrator of The Catcher in the Rye is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children's voices, adult voices, underground voices-but Holden's voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle it to keep.

J.D. Salinger's classic novel of teenage angst and rebellion was first published in 1951. The novel was included on Time's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels written since 1923. It was named by Modern Library and its readers as one of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. It has been frequently challenged in the court for its liberal use of profanity and portrayal of sexuality and in the 1950's and 60's it was the novel that every teenage boy wants to read.
Boy in funny hat
Wanders around N.Y.C.
Phonies everywhere.
(Christopher451)
A quoi bon la vie. Ses chemins nous mènent au trou. Attrape mon coeur!
Bottle up your grief.
Men do not have emotions.
Lie until you die.
(alsocass)

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316769487, 0316769177, 0316769533

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014023750X, 0241950430

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,217,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible