All Creatures Great and Small by James…

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (1972-08-01) (original 1972; edition 1780)

Herriot, a veterinarian, returns to his rural home after World War II and finds it difficult adjusting to peacetime. Through the support of his wife and partners, he begins to overcome his problems and rediscover the joy in veterinary medicine.
Member:ChrisKourim
Title:All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (1972-08-01)
Authors:
Info:Bantam Doubleday Dell (1780)

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (1972)

Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout (infiniteletters, bookel)
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    The Shepherd's Life: Modern Dispatches from an Ancient Landscape by James Rebanks (AmourFou)
    Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar nostalgic feel for a community and an era.
    All My Patients are Under the Bed by Louis J. Camuti (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Great War era British country vet, meet Great War era American city vet. I'm sure you'll be the greatest of friends!
    An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (cbl_tn)
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (PaperbackPirate)
    Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books display a love and respect for animals, a lovely British humor and are relaxing humorous reads.
    An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: An Irish Country Village is about village GPs in Ireland, All Creatures Great and Small is about rural veterinarians in Yorkshire. The Irish Country series is decades later than the James Herriot series. Both are charming and generous and filled with descriptions of beautiful countryside and eccentric human and animal characters.… (more)
    An Apple a Day: Adventures of a Country Doctor by Cornelius Slater (JimMcJim)
    Vet on the Loose by Gillian Hick (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: Witty memoir by a young Irish veterinarian.
    Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin (MyriadBooks)

English (107)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (112)
3.5 stars. For awhile, the stories were all kind of one-note. Animals were talked about with care and generosity, people a bit less so. If the narrator liked a person, the narrative glowed. If not, they weren’t shown in such a flattering light.
It’s very clear to me why these stories are so beloved. There’s no hero, no villain, just real people and the observations of someone who spent his time among them and just accepted them as they are. I’m not sure I know of a similar story, maybe that’s why it took awhile to warm to it. But warm I did, and by the end of the book I enjoyed everything much more. Herriot’s observations are gentle, even the folks he struggles with are treated mostly respectfully, and with a measure of humor. He doesn’t have a problem laughing at himself or divulging his fears and concerns, and thru the good and the bad of his country vet life it’s quite clear that he loves his work and the setting.
The one thing that would make me hesitate before sharing this book with my kids is the semi-frequent foul language. Nothing above perhaps a PG rating, but still. I think there is a children’s treasury of his stories, perhaps I’ll look in that direction. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
This book is so good! So funny & a really good pick me up for when you're feeling down. Definitely five stars :)
  leah152 | Oct 8, 2021 |
An episodic biography of veterinarian James Herriott. The chapters are short and enjoyable with laugh out loud human and animal antics. ( )
  niquetteb | Aug 17, 2021 |
Great look at the humor and challenges of rural veterinary practice in Britain a century ago. James Herriot is a master storyteller who keeps the reader's interest and emphasizes the blessing of common things. ( )
  danielsparks | Jun 19, 2021 |
My late grandfather spent many years as a farmer, the proud manager of a prizewinning herd of cows. Having spent most of his life outdoors, he wasn’t a great one for reading, but he did have one entire series of books: James Herriot’s (aka James Alfred Wight’s) fictionalised memoirs of his work as a vet in the Yorkshire Dales. These were the 1970s paperback editions, with covers by Norman Thelwell (a childhood favourite of mine, thanks to his pony cartoons). I don’t remember whether I read Granddad’s James Herriot books piecemeal during visits, or whether I borrowed them, but I definitely got through several of the series. Twenty years have passed and I didn’t remember the finer details of the stories, only a general sense that Herriot spent most of his time with his arm up the rear end of a cow. Now I’ve come back to these warm, cosy stories in an omnibus edition, reading them alongside the 2020 TV adaptation (which is wonderful). While cows’ rear ends do feature in abundance, All Creatures Great & Small is also full of wonderful characters, from Siegfried Farnon to Tricki Woo; and yet they aren’t its main appeal. That lies in Herriot’s evocation of the Yorkshire landscape, and his loving record of a world that was, even then, beginning to disappear. Magical, comforting fare.

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2021/05/10/all-creatures-great-small-1970-72-james-herr... ( )
1 vote TheIdleWoman | May 16, 2021 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionscalculated
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvenpää, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timothy, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eddie Straiton with gratitude and affection and Donald and Brian Sinclair, still my friends.
They didn't say anything about this in the books, I thought, as the snow blew in through the gaping doorway and settled on my naked back.
ISBN 0553122509 is All Creatures Great and Small.

My copy of this paperback is so loved and worn, that it is missing both front and back covers!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,193,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible