Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

All creatures great and small by James…

All creatures great and small (original 1972; edition 2011)

by James Herriot

Herriot, a veterinarian, returns to his rural home after World War II and finds it difficult adjusting to peacetime. Through the support of his wife and partners, he begins to overcome his problems and rediscover the joy in veterinary medicine.
Member:rickycatto
Title:All creatures great and small
Authors:James Herriot
Info:New York : Open Road Integrated Media, 2011.
Tags:import-from-library, to-read

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (1972)

Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout (infiniteletters, bookel)
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    The Shepherd's Life: Modern Dispatches from an Ancient Landscape by James Rebanks (AmourFou)
    Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar nostalgic feel for a community and an era.
    All My Patients are Under the Bed by Louis J. Camuti (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Great War era British country vet, meet Great War era American city vet. I'm sure you'll be the greatest of friends!
    An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (cbl_tn)
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (PaperbackPirate)
    Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books display a love and respect for animals, a lovely British humor and are relaxing humorous reads.
    An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: An Irish Country Village is about village GPs in Ireland, All Creatures Great and Small is about rural veterinarians in Yorkshire. The Irish Country series is decades later than the James Herriot series. Both are charming and generous and filled with descriptions of beautiful countryside and eccentric human and animal characters.… (more)
    An Apple a Day: Adventures of a Country Doctor by Cornelius Slater (JimMcJim)
    Vet on the Loose by Gillian Hick (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: Witty memoir by a young Irish veterinarian.
    Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin (MyriadBooks)

English (96)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (101)
Christopher Timothy’s narration is superb! Stories you can listen to again and again! ( )
  Lisa_Francine | Aug 5, 2020 |
Loved this warm and uplifting book. Everything that James Herriot writes is wonderful. I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet him years ago. ( )
  jeanbmac | Jul 28, 2020 |
This is barely a 3 star read for me. I can't stand Siegfried's habit of ignoring everything inconvenient to him. Also, it started with a bunch of veterinary procedures and no plot in evidence. The plot did eventually come to light, but Siegfried never really improved. On the other hand, the parts where there are descriptions of the country social life or Jim's visit with the little dog Tricky are quite amusing. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jun 16, 2020 |
Very cozy book, and fortunately, almost all the stories have happy endings (happy being: no animals died by the end of the telling, to put them out of their misery or otherwise). The whole setting just feels charming, and the reader gets to see-saw with "Herriot" over the miseries and joys of being a rural vet (superstitious, impecunious farmers, being shoulder-deep in a cow in a cold cowshed; friendly, good-natured farm folk, beautiful countryside and fresh air, helping animals).

Why only 3 stars? It started to get a little samey, especially his interpersonal adventures with Tristan and, ugh, Siegfried. Maybe Siegfried was striking a little close to home but oi, stuff it, you scatterbrained hypocrite. I would easily recommend this book to others, but I don't see myself with any compelling urge in the future to re-read it, nor do I feel spurred on to read the ensuing books. (It's like, sometimes you go to a restaurant and have a perfectly fine experience with it, yet somehow you never remember to go back there when you're eating out again. That's this book to me.) ( )
  elam11 | May 30, 2020 |
A wonderful, true story of an assistant veterinarian in the Yorkshire Dales in the 1930s. It mostly follows his cases, but there is some romance, and there are many wonderful characters (animal and human). It is a LONG story, but it is quite amusing. I look forward to reading more from James Herriot's adventures. ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionscalculated
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvenpää, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timothy, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eddie Straiton with gratitude and affection and Donald and Brian Sinclair, still my friends.
They didn't say anything about this in the books, I thought, as the snow blew in through the gaping doorway and settled on my naked back.
ISBN 0553122509 is All Creatures Great and Small.

My copy of this paperback is so loved and worn, that it is missing both front and back covers!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,555,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible