All Creatures Great and Small by James…

All Creatures Great and Small (original 1972; edition 2004)

by James Herriot (Author)

Herriot, a veterinarian, returns to his rural home after World War II and finds it difficult adjusting to peacetime. Through the support of his wife and partners, he begins to overcome his problems and rediscover the joy in veterinary medicine.
Member:SachaLamb
Title:All Creatures Great and Small
Authors:James Herriot (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2004), Edition: Reprint, 448 pages

Work Information

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (1972)

Recently added byOUredhead77, criera, caveatdumptruck, private library, Haven2, Arina7000, Martha_Thayer, sayyid
    Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout (infiniteletters, bookel)
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    The Shepherd's Life: Modern Dispatches from an Ancient Landscape by James Rebanks (AmourFou)
    Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar nostalgic feel for a community and an era.
    All My Patients are Under the Bed by Louis J. Camuti (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Great War era British country vet, meet Great War era American city vet. I'm sure you'll be the greatest of friends!
    An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (cbl_tn)
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (PaperbackPirate)
    Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books display a love and respect for animals, a lovely British humor and are relaxing humorous reads.
    An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: An Irish Country Village is about village GPs in Ireland, All Creatures Great and Small is about rural veterinarians in Yorkshire. The Irish Country series is decades later than the James Herriot series. Both are charming and generous and filled with descriptions of beautiful countryside and eccentric human and animal characters.… (more)
    An Apple a Day: Adventures of a Country Doctor by Cornelius Slater (JimMcJim)
    Vet on the Loose by Gillian Hick (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: Witty memoir by a young Irish veterinarian.
    Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin (MyriadBooks)

English (105)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (110)
I fondly remembered the TV series, which was a family treat on a Sunday afternoon when I was a child. So, when my dad was bedridden earlier this year, I bought the dvds for him to watch. However, I wanted to listen to the original at my own pace, so I acquired the audio book.

I'm so glad I did. Christopher Timothy does a great narration, and the story has all it needs, even without the images (although I have to admit that I had the TV characters before my inner eye, even if they didn't quite seem to match the description in the book.

If you want to spend a few delightful hours listening to a story about life in the Yorkshire Dales in the last century, go on and treat yourselves to this wonderful rendition of a wonderful book. For me, it is a classic, even though it's just a few decades ago that James Alfred "Alf" Wight (aka James Herriot) struggled with weather, beast, and man. ( )
  Belana | Dec 15, 2021 |
Young Scotsman Herriot had just passed his veterinary exams in the 30's when work of any kind was hard to come by. He was fortunate to be taken on as an assistant by Siegfried, and established vet with a practice in the Yorkshire Dales. Soon they were joined by Siegfried's younger brother Tristan, who had failed his vet exams but still helped on the rounds. This is a region that took adjustment for the young vet, as he was an outsider and the terrain was difficult, made worse because Herriot's loaner car didn't have brakes. He proved himself to be smart, innovative, and courageous, as he described shoving his hands in places that make the reader cringe. He does whatever he can to help both the animals and the farmers who are often on the edge of survival.

This is one of my best reads of the year. There are grim situations, but Herriot also writes of his hilarious date with Helen, when the rest of the house tried to cobble together appropriate dinner clothes for him, or the comical frustration of dealing with a boss who didn't listen. ( )
  mstrust | Nov 10, 2021 |
3.5 stars. For awhile, the stories were all kind of one-note. Animals were talked about with care and generosity, people a bit less so. If the narrator liked a person, the narrative glowed. If not, they weren’t shown in such a flattering light.
It’s very clear to me why these stories are so beloved. There’s no hero, no villain, just real people and the observations of someone who spent his time among them and just accepted them as they are. I’m not sure I know of a similar story, maybe that’s why it took awhile to warm to it. But warm I did, and by the end of the book I enjoyed everything much more. Herriot’s observations are gentle, even the folks he struggles with are treated mostly respectfully, and with a measure of humor. He doesn’t have a problem laughing at himself or divulging his fears and concerns, and thru the good and the bad of his country vet life it’s quite clear that he loves his work and the setting.
The one thing that would make me hesitate before sharing this book with my kids is the semi-frequent foul language. Nothing above perhaps a PG rating, but still. I think there is a children’s treasury of his stories, perhaps I’ll look in that direction. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
This book is so good! So funny & a really good pick me up for when you're feeling down. Definitely five stars :)
  leah152 | Oct 8, 2021 |
An episodic biography of veterinarian James Herriott. The chapters are short and enjoyable with laugh out loud human and animal antics. ( )
  niquetteb | Aug 17, 2021 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cade, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvenpää, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Resnick, KerriCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timothy, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eddie Straiton with gratitude and affection and Donald and Brian Sinclair, still my friends.
They didn't say anything about this in the books, I thought, as the snow blew in through the gaping doorway and settled on my naked back.
ISBN 0553122509 is All Creatures Great and Small.

My copy of this paperback is so loved and worn, that it is missing both front and back covers!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,907,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible