Interzone by William S. Burroughs

Interzone (edition 1990)

by William S. Burroughs (Author)

While living in Tangiers in the 1950s, Burroughs wrote "a startling collection of short stories, autobiographical sketches, letters, and diary entries, all of which showcase his trademark mordant humor, while delineating the addictions to drugs and sex that are the central metaphors of his work."--Cover, Penguin ed.… (more)
Member:CodyWard
Title:Interzone
Authors:William S. Burroughs (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (1990), 194 pages

Work Information

Interzone by William S. Burroughs

Hhmm.. well there's another edition listed here from Penguin, same date, same ISBN, different cover, &, most importantly, DIFFERENT NUMBER OF PAGES. It's an Amazon listing wch I've come to learn means OFTEN WRONG, sometimes DRASTICALLY WRONG - like listing the wrong author, giving a bk description that's for a completely different bk, etc. I suppose those mistakes cd've been added by someone else later & might not always originate w/ Amazon but if I see a mistake or something that seems wrong I always check to see if it's an Amazon entry & if it is then that adds further likelihood that what seems wrong really is a mistake. ANYWAY, rather than change the number of pages on the already existing entry, I've just made this new one - that way I can add the correct cover art for the edition I'm reviewing.

"Interzone": by the time I got around to reading this one, I was long-since a bit burnt-out on Burroughs. James Grauerholz edited it. I think this was earlier writings compiled at a later date. Now Grauerholz is to be commended for gathering all this. I always had the impression that Grauerholz helped organize Burroughs' life & writings in such a way so that Burroughs cd make a better (& well-deserved) living off of his writing. That's all well & good. But I read an interview w/ Grauerholz once where he sd something snotty about Burroughs' son - something along the lines of Grauerholz obviously being the object of Burroughs' affection & not B's son. G seemed to revel in this. That seemed particularly vicious & repulsive to me so it contributed to my dislike of G. Maybe that's ridiculous of me: after all, I don't know the guy, printed matter interviews are hardly to be trusted, etc.. Nonetheless, anything edited by Grauerholz has always seemed somewhat tainted to me.

SO, when I read "Interzone", I just didn't care anymore. What had intrigued me about Burroughs I'd long since become jaded to. The ideas weren't fresh anymore. Still, that's only b/c of the way the bk fit into my personal trajectory. A fresh reader who'd never read Burroughs before wd, quite probably, find it an astounding & important bk. ( )
  tENTATIVELY | Apr 3, 2022 |
A miscellany and as such, maybe not of interest to the passing reader. The variety of material is disconcerting-- from verbal sketch to travelogue to unmitigated logorrhea --but well worth the time of anyone who wants (or needs) to learn more about what Burroughs wanted (or needed) to achieve. ( )
  revD | Apr 7, 2007 |

Burroughs, William S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grauerholz, JamesEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,557,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible