Law 101: Everything You Need to Know About…

Law 101: Everything You Need to Know About American Law, Fourth Edition (original 2006; edition 2014)

by Jay Feinman (Author)

"In this fifth edition of his bestselling classic, Jay Feinman provides an authoritative and up-to-date overview of the American legal system. The book covers all the main subjects taught in the first year of law school, and discusses every facet of the American legal tradition, including constitutional law, the litigation process, and criminal, property, and contracts law. Above all, Feinman reveals to readers of all kinds that despite its complexities and quirks, the law can be understood by everyone"--… (more)
Member:cinstatelibrary
Title:Law 101: Everything You Need to Know About American Law, Fourth Edition
Authors:Jay Feinman (Author)
Info:Oxford University Press (2014), Edition: 4, 376 pages
Collections:Fiction

Law 101: Everything You Need to Know about the American Legal System by Jay M. Feinman (2006)

Recently added byjvbli, ultimatebooklist, jslib21, slatey1975, buffygurl, private library, nfulks32, kSdC2, Magicboards

It pisses me off that there's a book containing everything I need to know about the American legal system when I'm dropping 30 grand a year for law school. This little jewel was on the summer reading list before my 1L year. Didn't read it; I don't read assigned books on my time.
  horacewimsey | Dec 16, 2008 |
Part of it was subject matter part of it was writing style but I found this book pretty boring. I realize that there are only a couple areas of law that are of any interest to me. And the writing style felt very jumpy which meant it took me forever to get into and finish this book. I do think that he covered an amazing amount of a material and presented a lot of it in as understandable way as could be.
  jcopenha | Nov 21, 2007 |

Jay M. Feinmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lynch, Kathleen M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Leah and Keith,
and, always, Carole
Law is everywhere. (Preface)
Americans are fascinated by the law.

Contents:

1. There are no secret books : you can understand the law

2. Constitutional law and constitutional politics : interpreting and applying the Constitution -- What is constitutional law? -- Why do we need constitutional law? -- How does the Supreme Court decide what the Constitution means? -- Where does the Supreme Court get the authority to interpret the Constitution? -- What powers does constitutional law give to the rest of the federal government? -- What powers do the states have under constitutional law?

3. First freedoms : constitutional rights -- What rights does constitutional law protect? -- What is due process? -- Does constitutional law require that everyone be treated equally? -- How does the Constitution protect freedom of speech? -- How does the Constitution protect freedom of religion? -- What other rights are protected by the Constitution?

4. Your day in court : the litigation process -- What is civil procedure? -- Why do we need civil litigation and civil procedure? -- Where do court cases come from? -- Where can a lawsuit be brought? -- When can you make a federal case out of it? -- If you can sue in different places, what law will apply in each place? -- How does a lawsuit begin? -- What can the defendant do to respond to a lawsuit? -- What if there are more than two parties to a lawsuit? -- What if there are many parties to a lawsuit? -- How do the parties discover the facts about their case? -- What else happens before the trial? -- What happens at trial? -- What evidence can be presented at trial? -- What about the jury? -- What happens after trial?

5. Auto accidents, scalding coffee, and medical malpractice : personal injuries and tort law -- What is tort law? -- Why do we need tort law? -- Is it a tort when you hit someone? -- Is it a tort when you injure someone by not being careful? -- What does the law mean by reasonable care? -- How does a plaintiff prove that a defendant has been negligent? -- What if the victim is partly at fault for an accident? -- Suppose someone does not intend to injure someone else and acts with reasonable care : Can he or she still be liable in tort? -- When is manufacturer liable for injuries caused by its products? -- What damages can a plaintiff get in a tort case? -- When are damages awarded to punish the defendant?

6. When is a deal a deal? : businesses, consumers, and contract law -- What is contract law? -- Why do we need contract law? -- What is a contract? -- How do you make a contract? -- Does a contract have to be in writing to be enforceable? -- Can anyone make a contract? -- Once two people make an agreement, is it always enforceable? -- If a contract is unfair, can a court refuse to enforce it? -- Once you make a contract, can you ever get out of it? -- What happens if one party's performance depends upon something happening and it doesn't happen? -- Will a court order someone to perform a contract? -- How much does someone have to pay for not keeping a promise? -- How does the law treat form contract?

7. You are what you own : the law of property -- What is property law? -- Why do we need property law? -- What kinds of property are there? -- How can someone acquire property? -- How is property purchased and sold? -- How is property transferred on death? -- What is a trust? -- How do people own property collectively? -- How is the use of property controlled over time? -- How else can ownership of property be shared? -- What are the property rights of a landlord and a tenant? -- When can the government take your property?

8. From insanity to in cold blood : criminal responsibility and criminal law -- What is criminal law? -- Why do we need criminal law? -- What is a criminal act? -- Does someone have to mean to commit a crime to be guilty? -- When is self-defense justified? -- In what other circumstances is someone justified in committing a crime? -- Why are criminals allowed to plead insanity as a defense? -- What other defenses are available? -- Can someone be convicted for almost committing a crime? -- What is homicide? -- Why is rape law so controversial?

9. Protecting the innocent, freeing the guilty : criminal procedure -- What is criminal procedure? -- Why do we need criminal procedure? -- What are the steps in the criminal process? -- When can the police conduct a search and seizure? -- What is the privilege against self-incrimination? -- What happens if police violate a defendant's rights? -- What is plea bargaining? -- Why do we have juries? -- What is the adversary process? -- How does sentencing work? -- What about the death penalty? -- Why does it seem that criminal appeals go on so long?
CONTENTS:

1. There Are No Secret Books: You Can Understand the Law p.1
2. Constitutional Law and Constitutional Politics: Interpreting and Applying the Constitution p.9
3. First FreedomsL Constitutional Rights p.47
4. Your Day in Court: The Litigation Process p.91
5. Auto Accidents, Scalding Coffee, and Medical Malpractice: Personal Injuries and Tort Law p.137
6. When is a Deal a Deals? Businesses, Consumers, and Contract Law p.181
7. You Are What You Own: The Law of Property p. 215
8. From Insanity to In Cold Blood: Criminal Responsibility and Criminal Law p.257
9. Protecting the Innocent, Freeing the Guilty: Criminal Procedure p.305
(pagination from the hardcover Oxford University Press ed., 2006)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,870,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible