Lyrics: 1962-2001 by Bob Dylan

Lyrics: 1962-2001 (2004)

by Bob Dylan

Presents the lyrics to the songs on twenty-eight Bob Dylan albums, from "Bob Dylan" released in 1962, to "Love and Theft" in 2001, and includes lyrics to additional unreleased works.

Like other masterpieces translated from their original languages this book was a disappointment. I am a huge Dylan fan and his music swirls inside my memory, but nail the black lyrics to a white page and the magic dies. His greatest hits are still poetic gems, but his other work, which I always liked, reads as gobbledygook. Seeing all the lyrics in one place, and reading them one after the other, exposes a repetition of nonsense. I’m going to have to play a few of Dylan’s CDs to get this book out of my mind. ( )
1 vote drardavis | Sep 23, 2015 |
I was hoping to learn a little bit more about Dylan and how he went about his business of writing song lyrics by reading them myself. Much has been said about Bob Dylan "The Poet", but nobody has really said he isn't, until me. Yes, Bobby can rhyme. He can write great lyrics. But he is not a great poet. I am not concerned what the experts have to say on this matter regarding the merits of his poetry. I am telling you, stick to Wallace Stevens, Emily Dickinson, Jack Gilbert, or me, if what you need is an authentic poem. If a good rhyme is all you need, and you want to call that poetry, then I say stick with Dr. Seuss. ( )
2 vote MSarki | Mar 31, 2013 |
It's a good car to drive after a war. ( )
  rwk | Jan 4, 2007 |
Ramblin' outa the wild West

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,697,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible