Poems New and Collected by Wisława…

Poems New and Collected

by Wisława Szymborska

Recently added byalo1224, private library, robinhoo, grahamcifelli, dasam, jdtchicago, ech1030

Brilliant. You shall be hypnotize with words, with clarity of ideas yet profoundly poetic in nature. Here and there you shall discovered something that you always had a sense about but you just have no capability to put it in words. This collection is a translated edition, with such beauty in this edition, you only can wonder, how much beauty you could get if you can read it in her original language. ( )
  aziz_zabidi | Dec 5, 2015 |
A friend of mine asked er mother what she would do differently if she could change her life- and her mother answered that she would like to have read more poetry. This is how we came to discuss poets, and my friend introduced me to Wislawa Szymborska, that I had not been familiar with- a great shame, as I actually studied at the university of Uppsala where all the Nobel prize laureates give their speeches. (and never taking the opportunity to go to them will be my regret I guess)

We ended up reading her poems for about two hours, and I went to get a book of her poems at the nearest possibility and ran home to enjoy.

Apart from her Nobel Lecture, this book contains selected poems from Calling out to Yeti 1957, Salt 1962, No end of fun 1967, Could have 1972, A large Number 1976, The people on the bridge 1986, The end and the beginning 1993 and New Poems 1993-1997.
I am not sure what is missing, but all the poems I remember from our dinner are here.

I am not sure why my friend´s mother wished she had read more poetry, but while I was standing and flicking through the book in the bookshop, I realizes why I will try to read more poetry. In proze, you can "lazy read" and not pay 100% attention all the time- while reading poems, you need to stop and focus - otherwise the meaning will escape you. And this- the stopping and thinking- is so worth it.

And for those of you who, like me, did not know her work, here is a little flavour:

FOUR A.M.
The hour between night and day.
The hour between toss and turn.
The hour of thirty-year-olds.

The hour swept clean for roosters crowing.
The hour when the earth takes back its warm embrace.
The hour of cool drafts from estinguished stars.
The hour of do-we-vanish-too-without-a-trace.

Empty hour.
Hollow. Vain.
Rock bottom of all the other hours.

No one feels fine at four a.m.
If ants feel fine at four a.m.,
we´re happy for the ants. And let five a.m. come
if we´re got to go on living. ( )
1 vote Bookoholic73 | Apr 1, 2012 |
I don't read a great deal of poetry and stumbled across this after seeing a show of projections by Jennie Holzer. I'm glad I did. ( )
  bookem | Dec 12, 2008 |

Wisława Szymborskaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dvořáčková, VlastaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rasch, GerardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156011468, Paperback)

All poets, according to Wislawa Szymborska, are in a perpetual dialogue with the phrase I don't know. "Each poem," she writes in her 1996 Nobel Lecture, "marks an effort to answer this statement, but as soon as the final period hits the page, the poet begins to hesitate, starts to realize that this particular answer was pure makeshift, absolutely inadequate." As a self-portrait, at least, this is fairly accurate. From the beginning, Szymborska has indeed wrestled with the demon of epistemology. Yet even in her earliest poems, such as "Atlantis," she delivered her speculations with a human--which is to say, a gently ironic--face:

They were or they weren't.
On an island or not.
An ocean or not an ocean
Swallowed them up or it didn't.

Fifteen years later, when her 1972 collection, Could Have, appeared, Szymborska seemed to have made some major inroads into her notorious ignorance. Now she confessed to at least a shred of comprehension, stressing, however, that such knowledge has come at a terrible price: "We read the letters of the dead like helpless gods, / but gods, nonetheless, since we know the dates that follow. / We know which debts will never be repaid. / Which widows will remarry with the corpse still warm." And even in her most recent work, the poet continues to gravitate toward the admirable emptiness of, say, the clouds: "Unburdened by memory of any kind, / they float easily over the facts." Ultimately, though, the joke is on Szymborska, whose poems have grown more witty, more humane, and more tender--in other words, more knowing--with each passing year. View with a Grain of Sand remains an excellent point of entry to Szymborska's oeuvre, but Poems New and Collected is the place to go for a wide-angle view of this superlative and sardonic writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:25 -0400)

Provides one hundred poems including the author's "View with a Grain of Sand," and sixty-four newly-translated selections.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,989,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible