I found a dead bird : the kid's guide…

I found a dead bird : the kid's guide to the cycle of life & death (edition 2006)

by Jan Thornhill

Member:WeeTurtle
Title:I found a dead bird : the kid's guide to the cycle of life & death
Authors:Jan Thornhill
Info:Toronto : Maple Tree Press, c2006.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:life-cycle, death, science, decomposition, kids science

I Found a Dead Bird: The Kids' Guide to the Cycle of Life and Death by Jan Thornhill

A very scientific approach to death, dying, decomposition, and renewal. I wasn't too fond of the inside aesthetic which has a sharp and jagged design, somewhat like a comic book, but I guess that's really up to the kid to decide if they like it. It's mostly the science behind death, with photos and facts about life cycles of mammals, plants, fungi, insects, etc. There is also a section on grief and cultural approaches to death and grieving. I was looking for books that looked at death and dying potentially as a means to understand it. I feel this is a book to get for a science minded kid for general study rather than as a means to deal with someone dying, but again, that's probably a choice better left to a someone who knows the attitude of the kid. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Feb 14, 2019 |
As usual, Jan Thornhill tells it like it is, in this very honest and intelligent book about life and death. Life and life spans, how things die, what happens after death, and what happens when people die - it's all here, in a bold, visual format. Students will certainly appreciate the varied layouts, the expert photography, the big picture questions, the comparison charts, info boxes, and comprehensive index that are all tailor-made for middle years readers. The content doesn't shy away from tough subject matter such as human death, grieving, and funeral customs. Prepare for powreful questions and discussions as a result of reading this book with children. ( )
  keatkin | Aug 7, 2010 |

This straightforward, no holds barred approach to the subject will captivate children. Chock-full of color photographs, the well-designed book contains boxes with tidbits of information on a wide variety of topics, such as death of a species, human destruction, plant decomposition, trapped in time, and learning from death.

Explores the cycle of life and death, and how the process is necessary in nature, while also commenting on how death effects people personally, and the skills they use to cope with such a trauma when it occurs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,138,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible