Night Watch: A Novel of Discworld by Terry…

Night Watch: A Novel of Discworld (original 2002; edition 2014)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

Sam Vimes can't tell what kind of day he's having. One moment he's fighting a ruthless murderer on top of the library of the Unseen University. The next, he's thrown back in time. But, the city's on the brink of revolt, and that killer he was after in the future is with him here in the past, which is now the present. Now all Vimes has to do is figure out how to get back home--but first he has to change the outcome of a bloody rebellion.… (more)
Member:Haraldsdottir
Title:Night Watch: A Novel of Discworld
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Harper (2014), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages

Work Information

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett (2002)

English (139)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Tagalog (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (149)
Huh, go figure. Just as the 28th book in this long-running series took a (what I believe to be terrible) left turn, this very next one also took an unexpected turn, and is a darker and more violent book than any of the previous 28.

And it's also an extremely good one. Probably top five in the series so far. The laughs are still there, the humour as biting and witty as ever, but there's this whole other level of depth that Pratchett delivers this time around.

I will say I was actually reluctant to read the next one in the series because of how much I disliked [b:The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents|34534|The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld, #28)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1168566225l/34534._SY75_.jpg|1179689], but this one completely restored my faith. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
Night Watch starts with Vimes and a few others visiting a number of otherwise forgotten graves. When asked what was going on: "you had to have been there."

One magical lightning storm later and Vimes ends up 'having been there' for a second time.

Given Discworld takes aim at just everything that can be discussed within the fantasy framework has put together--and honestly, what can't?--and that this is the 29th published Discworld novel, it's not at all surprising that we get a novel about time travel and having to ensure that time happens the way that it was supposed to all along.

The rest of the plot goes about as you'd expect, with Vimes having to deal with what he knows will happen without screwing things up too badly while making sure the younger Vimes grows up into the man he is now. It's actually an interesting way to do character development. In the future/present time, Vimes is head of a a larger expanded and mostly non-corrupt City Watch. A noble. An ambassador. So how do you grow from there?

Put him in a situation where he's still grown and learned all he has, but doesn't have the resources he's grown used to.

It's really well done and an enjoyable book, even if the general structure doesn't really do anything surprising.

Well worth the read, although you'd like want to read at least a few of the other City Watch books first so that you have a bit of a background on Vimes and the others.

Semi-random quote of the:

"You'd like Freedom, Truth, and Justice, wouldn't you, Comrade Sergeant?" said Reg encouragingly.

"I'd like a hard-boiled egg," said Vimes, shaking the match out.

There was some nervous laughter, but Reg looked offended.

"In the circumstances, Sergeant, I think we should set our sights a little higher--"

"Well, yes, we could," said Vimes, coming down the steps. He glanced at the sheets of papers in front of Reg. The man cared. He really did. And he was serious. He really was. "But...well, Reg, tomorrow the sun will come up again, and I'm pretty sure that whatever happens we won't have found Freedom, and there won't be a whole lot of Justice, and I'm damn sure we won't have found Truth. But it's just possible that I might get a hard-boiled egg."

Well spoken. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Sir Samuel Vimes slips through a crack in time as he is fighting an archenemy, and has to save the city from inept leadership in the past, while trying not to change the future, including a younger version of himself. While I missed his usual supporting cast, the book grew on me as it went on, culminating in the birth of Sam and Lady Sybil's son, as he returns to the present with some medical help from an old friend during a difficult birth. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Love this book. Definitely Pratchett writing at his prime. ( )
  richvalle | Jul 11, 2021 |
Quite good; trouble is, one is used to expect a Discworld novel to be even funnier than this one. ( )
  Stravaiger64 | Jun 6, 2021 |
A fine place to start reading Pratchett if you don't mind a few ''in'' jokes, ''Night Watch'' transcends standard genre fare with its sheer schoolboy humor and characters who reject their own stereotypes.

What makes the book intriguing is Pratchett's Chestertonian common-sense morality. While his blunt logic doesn't always equip him to deal with the niceties (at one point, he seems to argue against any controls on gun ownership), it allows him to break through liberal confusions and conservative certainties.
added by melmore | editThe Independent, Robert Hank (Nov 29, 2002)

Not a side-splitter this time, though broadly amusing and bubbling with wit and wisdom: both an excellent story and a tribute to beat cops everywhere, doing their hair-raising jobs with quiet courage and determination.
added by melmore | editKirkus Review (Nov 12, 2002)

Stories both trap people in a continuum and console them with images of beginnings and ends. Pratchett is a master storyteller.
added by Shortride | editThe Guardian, A. S. Byatt (Nov 9, 2002)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Vicq de Cumptich, RobertoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orosz, IstvanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rijn, Rembrandt vanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sam Vimes sighed when he heard the scream, but he finished shaving before he did anything about it.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend."

-- Detritus learns about weapons safety (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
'It's not me, you understand,' said Vimes, 'but if I went back
and showed my captain this piece of paper and he said to me,
Vi- Keel, how d'you know he's Henry the Hamster, well, I'd be a
bit... flummoxed. Maybe even perplexed.'

-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)
Maybe the best way to build a bright new world is to peel some spuds in this one.
'One's got a lot of holes in his feet, one dropped through the privy roof and has got a twisted leg, and one's dead.'

'I don't think I can do much about the dead one' said the doctor. 'How do you know he's dead? I realize I might regret asking that question.'

'He's got a broken neck from falling off a roof and I reckon he fell off because he got a steel crossbow bolt in his brain.'

'Ah. That sounds like dead, if you want my medical opinion.'

(Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch had it all.

But now he's back in his own rough, tough past without even the clothes he was standing up in when the lightning struck...

Living in the past is hard. Dying in the past is incredibly easy. But he must survive, because he has a job to do. He must track down a murderer, teach his younger self how to be a good copper and change the outcome of a bloody rebellion.

There's a problem: if he wins, he's got no wife, no child, no future...

A Discworld Tale of One City, with a full chorus of street urchins, ladies of negotiable affection, rebels, secret policemen and other children of the revolution.

Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a Hard-boiled Egg!
When the lilacs bloom,
Vimes must do it all again.
Can he do it right?

(espadrile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,558,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible