I’m Just Here for the Food, Version 2.0: Food + Heat = Cooking (2006)

by Alton Brown, Alton Brown

Series: I'm Just Here for the Food (Book 1c)

Cooking & Food. Reference. Nonfiction. HTML:

Eight years ago, Alton Brown set out to create a cooking show for a new generation. The result was Good Eats, one of Food Network's most popular programs. Four years ago, Brown set out to write a cookbook for people who would rather understand their food than follow a recipe. A mix of cutting-edge graphics and a fresh take on preparing food, I'm Just Here For the Food became one of the bestselling cookbooks of the year?and received the James Beard Foundation/KitchenAid Book Award as best reference book.
This year, to commemorate and celebrate this success story (more than 300,000 copies in print), STC is pleased to announce I'm Just Here For the Food: The Director's Cut. This special edition features 10 brand-new recipes, 20 pages of additional material, a jacket that folds out into a poster, and a removable refrigerator magnet?along with everything that made the original a classic instruction manual for the kitchen. Each of the book's 15 sections is a module on a given cooking method?from pan searing to pressure cooking, stewing to steaming?with a ?master" recipe and a varied selection of recipes that epitomize the technique. The text is accented throughout with food facts, history and lore, and sci
… (more)

A cookbook unlike many others in that it doesn't just tell you how to cook but why. Plus it's funny. Alton Brown is the Bill Nye of the cooking world. ( )
  bacis88 | Nov 30, 2010 |
Anyone with more than a passing interest in cooking will likely enjoy this book. It's one of the few cookbooks designed to be read, not just thumbed through. It's really not even a cookbook. There are 90 recipes, but those are there primarily to illustrate his point about the science of cooking and to use as practice for specific techniques. The design is appealing and more like a magazine with clever illustrations and interesting asides. Who knew that Kingsford Charcoal was started by an executive at Ford Motor Company who went camping with Henry Ford and who also had lots of scrap chipwood left over at the plant? I certainly didn't. Intriguing anecdotes like these that are paired with very helpful discussions about the science of cooking make this a fantastic read for anyone who hasn't gone to culinary school. Highly recommended. ( )
  TigerLMS | Jan 27, 2010 |
I checked this book out of the library because I'm a fan of Alton Brown's tv show, Good Eats. The science aspect of cooking is interesting, and I've learned more than one useful culinary technique by watching. This cookbook is laid out much the same way; lots of easy to understand, jargon free science, great ideas and simple recipes. If you're an intermediate or advanced cook, the recipes themselves might not appeal much to you, but everyone, regardless of cooking background, can appreciate and use the tips and hints he gives throughout. Written in a conversational, easy-going manner, this book was great for reading. ( )
  pinprick | Sep 29, 2009 |
It's one of those 'must have' books for your kitchen. ( )
  EvaElisabeth | Sep 18, 2009 |
I love Alton Brown, his shows on Food Network are great so to no surprise this cookbook is great too. I have tried some of the recipes listed and was very pleased with the results. I enjoy his straightforward approach to explaining the science behind cooking methods. I also like that he has taken cooking methods and experimented with them until he can present the best method available for each technique. Most of all ... his recipes dont call for any particularly fancy tools or ingredients in order to make them! ( )
  Emidawg | Jan 23, 2009 |

Alton Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, Altonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Curiosity is a willing, a proud, an eager confession of ignorance. —Leonard Rubenstein
Let's get one thing straight right up front.
This LT work is Alton Brown's 2006 revision (alternately referred to as "Version 2.0 " or "The Director's Cut") of his 2002 book, I'm Just Here for the Food: Food (plus) Heat = Cooking. Please distinguish between this revision and other LT works in this series. Thank you.

Cooking & Food. Reference. Nonfiction. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,816,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible