A History of Rome (1991)

by Marcel Le Glay, Yann Le Bohec (Author), Jean-Louis Voisin (Author)

Spanning over 1,300 years, this popular history of Rome has now been revised to include a new survey of the sources for Roman history, updated material on the formation of Rome, and extended coverage of Roman imperialism. New edition of this popular history of Rome. Spans 1,300 years of history in a single volume. Broad in scope - covers political, social, economic, religious and cultural history. Material on the formation of Rome has been updated to take account of the most recent research. Coverage of Roman imperialism and the political world of the first century BC has been expanded A new section on Roman spectacles, including gladiatorial combat and chariot racing, has been inserted. A substantial survey of the sources for Roman history has been added. The third edition is accompanied by a website available at http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/historyofrome/… (more)

Good chronical history of Rome ( )
  Robinvk93 | Jan 5, 2019 |
Nice review of cultural, political, and religious aspects of the Roman Empire. Again, I didn't read every page of this one, but I found much helpful. It was clearly written, easy to read, and the divisions and table I found helpful.
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is really a comprehensive textbook for students rather than narrative history. If I were a student, this would be invaluable. So, after a couple of chapters, I am stopping reading it through, but will retain for reference. No star rating.
  john257hopper | Jan 17, 2014 |
I think everyone who knows me know that I love history. Even so, this book was one of the most dry, tedious things that I have ever read. This book exhibits exactly what the problem is with the way that history is taught in schools today. It was page after page of unpronounceable names, meaningless dates, and useless terminology. There was not even the slightest attempt at making history a continuous flow, connecting the dots or making it interesting with narrative. In addition, the author seemed to focus the most extensively on the most complex and boring aspects of history such as economics and population numbers. Mind-numbing. The only reason it gets even two stars is because it contains some good material that I can use as a reference later when bare facts and figures are needed. Lots of information; no presentation. ( )
  davidpwithun | Sep 16, 2011 |

Le Glay, MarcelAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Le Bohec, YannAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Voisin, Jean-LouisAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Nevill, AntoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,117,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible