Unbuilding (Sandpiper) by David Macaulay

Unbuilding (Sandpiper) (original 1980; edition 1987)

by David Macaulay

Member:xydexx
Title:Unbuilding (Sandpiper)
Authors:David Macaulay
Info:Sandpiper (1987), Paperback, 80 pages
Tags:modern ruins

Unbuilding by David Macaulay (1980)

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All (8)
2010 May 29
Yes, I'm a sucker for Macaulay.

***

It's fiction, but it's wonderfully educational. It would never have occurred to me to ask how one would de-construct the Empire State building, assuming one wanted to. But I marvel at the engineering necessary to un-build. Plus, more cool stuff about the building of the Empire State than I knew before.

2013 May 5

It's spring and a woman's fancy returns to the Empire State Building. I love this book.

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
I liked the illustrations, as with all of Macauley's books, but the story was too contrived and took away from the drawings. ( )
  dpevers | Mar 7, 2016 |
Great for your spacial learners. Helps show students the actually size of the building. Great illustrations. ( )
  Lukesilvera | Apr 26, 2013 |
Unbuilding is another David Macaulay book that show showcases his meticulous attention to detail and his bizarre sense of humor. In this scenario, an eccentric mideast prince has bought the Empire State Building and is intent on taking it apart piece by piece to move it to the Arabian Desert.

This oddball back story makes possible the "unbuilding" of the iconic structure, and we can see how the building was built as it is slowly dismantled. Fascinating.

The ending is in keeping with the offbeat humor of the author - can't reveal it here, but I laughed out loud. (In real life I probably wouldn't have...) ( )
  MerryMary | Jan 30, 2010 |

This fictional account of the dismantling and removal of the Empire State Building describes the structure of a skyscraper and explains how such an edifice would be demolished.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:04 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,075,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible