Dark Horse by Jean S. Doty

Dark Horse

by Jean S. Doty

Nice horse story. It's about a middle-school girl who works at a horse stable in order to get riding lessons. She becomes good enough to be asked to ride some of the horses for exercise, and she goes along to shows to help the younger riders. There's a plain brown horse at the stable who came in looking underfed and ordinary. They feed him up and hope to sell him off soon. He starts jumping fences- nothing holds him in anywhere, which exasperates the staff until they just start ignoring him- letting him roam at will around the property. He has an odd, uncomfortable stride, so nobody really wants to ride him. One day the main character is asked to ride him, accompanying another kid on a fox hunt- this boy got injured and can't play soccer anymore, his mother is desperate to get him interested in something else and puts him on a horse to go along with a newly-reinstalled hunt in the area. Stuff happens, the two kids get separated from the rest of the hunt, end up following just the huntmaster over rough terrain and frightening jumps- and everyone finds out what a spectacular jumper the brown horse is. I was happily surprised to find myself reading a foxhunting episode in the middle of a story about horse shows, and thought the horse would now follow hounds. But his talent being discovered, the stable owners decided to enter him in jumping competitions- with our main girl riding him. He starts to get attention and accolades, and she fears he will soon be sold. Until things take a turn for the worst at the biggest competition she's ever been in. I like stories that surprise me, even though this one is simply told and there isn't a lot of character development. It was a fine read.

from Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Sep 8, 2018 |
Rose and Dav

Wonderful Sci-Fi Romance with Alien-abduction, AI ships, Star Trek-style swashbuckling space ship intrigue with the usual moralistic ending. I LOVED It! Especially because Rose is portrayed as such a strong and smart woman.

There are so many easter egg homages to other books (The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey) TV shows (Star Trek, Dr. Who) and many more. This was such a fun read; certain to give me a book hangover! (That's a good thing.) ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |

Massmarket -AR 1/30 B90

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:48 -0400)

A special brown horse helps Abby realize her dream of taking part in first-class competition riding.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,229,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible