Medieval Europe: A Short History by C.…

Medieval Europe: A Short History

by C. Warren Hollister

This book is easy to read, includes relevant and interesting information, and covers medieval Europe on a broad scale rather than focus on one or two countries/empires. In addition, the style of writing is well-paced and engaging. Best of all, the book reiterates the sentiment that the "Dark Ages" were not as dark or backwards as general perception states. Instead, this time frame is presented as a period of continuous change and development -- even, dare I say, innovation. One problem I do have is how clearly some of the authors' biases and opinions come through in the writing. One or both authors have the tendency to state interpretations or deductions as established fact. Also, the extreme overuse of the word "buttress" became very old, very quickly. So, high marks for readability but points lost for lack of objectivity. ( )
1 vote TheBooknerd | Sep 8, 2009 |
Well written, constructed to aid learning, even occasionally humorous! ( )
  saraLlewellyn | Sep 11, 2008 |
Left over from my college days as a history major. ( )
  MerryMary | Apr 20, 2007 |
A fairly easy read, this is the standard textbook for medieval European survey courses. I prefer Cook & Herzman's The Medieval World View, though, for putting everything going on in the period in its intellectual context. ( )
  pkhardy | Apr 7, 2006 |

C. Warren Hollisterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bennett, Judith M.main authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Parents
Introduction: A few generations ago the medieval centuries of European history were widely regarded as "The Dark Ages."
During the three centuries following the end of the Roman imperial line in the West in A.D. 476, the Mediterranean world underwent a profound transformation.
Preface: During the summer vacation following my sophomore and junior years of college, as I was reading the abridgment of Toynbee's Study of History (amidst more sophomoric activities), it struck me that the culture that surrounds and shapes us is a product of its medieval past.
Introduction (5th ed.): There is an old-fashioned notion, long discredited yet still popularly accepted, that medieval Europe was an historical disaster.
[Chapter 13: The Birth of States and Representative Government: England and France]
While empire and papacy were engaged in their drawn-out struggle, England and France were evolving into centralized states. Strong monarchy came to England sooner than to France, yet in the long run it was the English who were the more successful in limiting royal power.
[fifth edition, p. 240]

Marked by C. Warren Hollister's clear historical vision and engaging teaching style, this classic text has been judiciously revised by Judith Bennett; the tenth edition includes greater coverage of Byzantium and Islam, a revised map program, a new essay program on medieval myths, and more. In his preface to the eighth edition, Professor Hollister wrote of his realization, while in college, that our world today "is a product of the medieval past." Medieval Europe introduces today's students to the medieval roots of our own society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:30 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,659,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible