1 Peter (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the…

1 Peter (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament) (edition 2005)

by Karen H. Jobes (Author)

In this newest addition to the acclaimed BECNT series, respected New Testament scholar Karen H. Jobes provides a fresh commentary on 1 Peter. 1 Peter admirably achieves the dual aims of the BECNT series--it is academically sophisticated as well as pastorally sensitive and accessible. This volume features Jobes's own translation of the Greek text and detailed interaction with the meaning of the text, emphasizing the need to read 1 Peter in light of its cultural background. Jobes's commentary will help pastors, students, and teachers better understand the Christian's role as a "foreigner" in contemporary society.… (more)
Member:jkchambers
Title:1 Peter (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament)
Authors:Karen H. Jobes (Author)
Info:Baker Academic (2005), 384 pages

1 Peter (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament) by Karen H. Jobes

Fairly thorough, with some notable omissions. Not overly exegetical, despite the subtitle. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
I found this commentary to be very useful as I preached through 1 Peter. Jobes is a scholar who is well-acquainted with the literature of Petrine studies and she has written a very solid work of exegesis. One weakness, for me, in the use of this book is the elementary level of my Koine Greek, making it harder for me to understand and make use of the original language when it was key to understanding her interpretation of a passage. Another facet of the book that was a weakness relative to my usage of it was that I was preaching through Peter's letter and Jobes book, being primarily exegetical, did not have many insights geared towards application. Of the resources I use this book was at the top of my second line of references. I commend it to anyone preaching or doing scholarly work on 1 Peter. ( )
  BradKautz | Nov 18, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,500,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible