The Message of Ezekiel: A New Heart and a New Spirit (The Bible Speaks Today)

by Christopher J. H. Wright

Series: Bible Speaks Today (26)

Ezekiel comes to us as a stranger from a distant time and land. Who is this priest who, on his thirtieth birthday, has a dazzling vision of God on a wheeled throne? Who is this odd prophet who engages in outlandish street theater and speaks for God on international affairs? Who is this seer who paints murals of apocalyptic doom and then of a restored temple bursting with emblems of paradise? Are we bound to take this literally, reading prophet and newspaper side by side? Or is there a better way?Christopher Wright is a proven interpreter and communicator of the Old Testament, and in this commentary he masterfully opens our eyes to see and understand the message of Ezekiel. Ezekiel's vision of the glory of God--its departure and return--is first set within Israel's history and then in the culmination of God's promises in Christ. Embedded in the pattern of the strange, the bizarre and the wonderful is a word that still speaks to God's people today.… (more)

A fantastic commentary on the book of Ezekiel.

This is my first time considering a commentary in this series, so I cannot know how exemplary or consistent it is with other volumes.

Wright does a great job of setting forth the basic message of passages in Ezekiel in context, demonstrating associations among passages, and provides very well considered applications for Christians to consider.

The material is organized somewhat according to the chapter divisions, but the author will (understandably) discuss certain sections with parallel meanings together. Thus, in the middle of Ezekiel, the reader will have to "bounce around" the commentary to find material about what they are reading. Nevertheless, most everything in Ezekiel is covered somewhere.

An essential commentary when exploring Ezekiel for preaching, teaching, and/or personal study. ( )
  deusvitae | Apr 13, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For Catharine and Andy
[General Preface] The Bible Speaks Today describes three series of expositions, based on the books of the Old and New Testaments, and on Bible themes that run through the whole of Scripture.
[Author's Preface] The date at the top of a rather dog-eared essay records my awakening to the riches of biblical theology.
[Introduction] 'May God strengthen him.'
As birthday treats go, Ezekiel's thirtieth birthday experience is unsurpassed.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,025,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible