Lion in the White House: A Life of Theodore…

Lion in the White House: A Life of Theodore Roosevelt

by Aida D. Donald

159None74,830 (3.4)3

From cradle to grave Teddy Roosevelt was a remarkable individual with a tremendous capacity for learning, leading, and living. He seems to have excelled at most everything he undertook, rising quickly through the ranks.

Well known as President of the United States and was one of the "Rough Riders" in the charge up San Juan Hill, Roosevelt also was a member of the Civil Service Commission, was Commissioner of the New York City Police Department, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Governor of New York and Vice President of the United States all prior to becoming the president of the U.S. at age 42.

He was widely admired and respected. He lived his life with gusto and style. His was an inspiring life and this biography covers it all with an easy, readable style. ( )
  bibliostuff | Mar 20, 2014 |
This one took me forever to read, even though it is only a 200 some-odd page biography on my favorite president (almost an entire year). I found this particular biography to be just plain dull. The man himself is incredibly interesting and the author clearly respects and admirers Teddy, but man I wish she had never picked up a dictionary. Ms. Donald style and tendency too use big overly complicated words to say the simplest things is so jarring that I would actually get stuck on word or sentence in paragraph and be totally lost. It felt like work to get from one paragraph to the next. When you strip the overly complicated words and sentences out, all your left with is an interesting string of facts and tidbits and not much of a biography. ( )
  stretch | Dec 21, 2009 |
I really enjoyed reading this quick, consise book. the print was great for my older eyes, I learned a lot about this man. I loved visiting Sagamore Hill as a child and loved learning more about him. ( )
  chaoscat60 | Dec 31, 2007 |

New York State Assemblyman, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, New York City Police Commissioner, Governor of New York, Vice President and, at forty-two, the youngest President ever-in his own words, Theodore Roosevelt “rose like a rocket.” He was also a cowboy, a soldier, a historian, an intrepid explorer, and an unsurpassed environmentalist-all in all, perhaps the most accomplished Chief Executive in our nation’s history. In Lion in the White House: A Life of Theodore Roosevelt, historian Aida Donald masterfully chronicles the life of this first modern president. TR’s accomplishments in office were immense. As President, Roosevelt redesigned the office of Chief Executive and the workings of the Republican Party to meet the challenges of the new industrial economy. Believing that the emerging aristocracy of wealth represented a genuine threat to democracy, TR broke trusts to curb the rapacity of big business. He improved economic and social conditions for the average American. Roosevelt built the Panama Canal and engaged the country in world affairs, putting a temporary end to American isolationism. And he won the Nobel Peace Prize-the only sitting president ever so honored. Throughout his public career, TR fought valiantly to steer the GOP back to its noblest ideals as embodied by Abraham Lincoln. Alas, his hopes for his party were quashed by the GOP’s strong rightward turn in the years after he left office. But his vision for America lives on. In lapidary prose, this concise biography recounts the courageous life of one of the greatest leaders our nation has ever known.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:45 -0400)

Reassesses the life and political career of Theodore Roosevelt and examines his accomplishments, including his dedication to environmental preservation, the construction of the Panama Canal, and his receipt of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible