Breath, Eyes, Memory (Oprah's Book Club) by…

Breath, Eyes, Memory (Oprah's Book Club) (original 1994; edition 1998)

by Edwidge Danticat

Twelve-year-old Sophie Caco is removed from her impoverished village and sent to live in New York with her mother, a woman she barely knows. There she learns about a terrible truth that shadows her family.
Member:stpetelibrary
Title:Breath, Eyes, Memory (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Edwidge Danticat
Info:Vintage (1998), Paperback, 234 pages
Tags:Haitian Americans--New York (State)--New York--Fiction, Women--New York (State)--New York--Fiction

Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat (1994)

Recently added byprivate library, reg_lt, SMA_Hive, zemaniax, Sanic-Burke, sallypursell, Jashanae, -Eva-

English (53)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (55)
Started off okish but got stilted. Not as good as Danticat's later work. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
This was a hard book to read - four Haitian women, strong but powerless to escape their life circumstances. Grandmother, two sisters and a granddaughter, bearing separate burdens and carrying tales of tradition, abuse and neglect. They both hurt and grieve for each other. It's a beautifully written story carrying some hope in "breath, eyes and their memory." ( )
  steller0707 | Aug 25, 2019 |
Very good. Themes: Haitian girl and her mother. cultural abuse. The land is our mother.
[read 2001-18 yr ago] ( )
  juniperSun | Jan 18, 2019 |
in contrast to the book i had just finished (la bastarda) this book absolutely saturates the reader in haitian culture and feeling, through the characters and what they experience. this is such an excellent example of how to both tell a compelling story while also showing people what life for some people in a different culture/country is like. beautifully done and the language is wonderful.

it's not perfect, though, and the introduction of bulimia was handled awkwardly without enough followup and exposition. (this was the main thing that bothered me about the book, and that cost it a star or more.) it was perfectly believable but i think needed to be handled differently, and more in depth, especially for how late it was introduced. the last quarter or so fell off for me, partially because of this, which is too bad because the resolution of the story is excellent and the writing fantastic. still overall very well done. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Jul 2, 2018 |
I picked this as my bookclub selection because I had so loved a collection of her short stories but this did not have quite the same magic. Perhaps because the issues it deals with are so very grim. It was still a powerful and moving story but hard to read and at some level hard to connect with. The women in the story, esp. Martine and Sophie, are so very damaged. At the core, it feels like a story of how women are as trapped by other women as by a deeply patriarchal society. Not easy topics to read about. Worth reading but hard to read.
1 vote amyem58 | Nov 20, 2017 |
To the brave women of Haiti,
grandmothers, mothers, aunts,
sisters, cousins, daughters, and friends,
on this shore and other shores.
We have stumbled but we will not fall.
A flattened and drying daffodil was dangling off the little card that I had made my aunt Atie for Mother's Day.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible