Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge to Terabithia (edition 1996)

by Katherine Paterson (Author)

Member:mommyofmanyblessings
Title:Bridge to Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson (Author)
Info:Harper Collins Publishers (1996), Edition: Scholastic, 128 pages

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)

I had heard about this book for many years, but never went to the library to check it out. This past week I saw it in my pastor's office, borrowed it (c. 1977 hardback) and read it. This book is in pristene condition with a beautiful dust cover and illustrations by Donna Diamond. I was captivated with Paterson's writing from the first word and couldn't put the book down. If you have not read this book, I don't want to spoil the ending, but the twists and turns and experiences of Jesse and Leslie are ones to warm and tug at your heart. The family dynamics displayed sibling rivalry and parental roles in all their uniqueness. Good read. ( )
  prudencegoodwife | Jun 1, 2019 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 21, 2019 |
Bridge to Terabithia is a touching story about friendship, loss and the beauty of imagination. Living in a poor, rural farming community, Jesse Aaron's biggest dream is to win a footrace at school. Already hassled with four sisters, he is disappointed when the new family that moves in next door has a daughter, Leslie, his age. Jesse is initially resistant to Leslie's overtures of friendship, but.quickly realizes that Leslie is like no one he has ever known before. Wildly imaginative, Leslie draws Jesse into Terabithia, a make-believe world all their own. Their friendship adds vivid color and new life to Jesse's days until one day a terrible tragedy occurs, leaving Jesse lost and hopeless. Jesse must overcome his own sadness to honor Leslie's legacy in the best way possible - by passing on the beauty of her vision for Terabithia. ( )
  adrouet | Apr 4, 2019 |
I always like to open my reviews for classic works of children’s literature by emphasizing that, unlike many readers, I didn’t grow up reading these books. I was a reader, but my interests didn’t go beyond Choose Your Own Adventure and “Strange, but true” books. As close as I came to literature was Judy Blume—and only the Fudge books. So when I’m reading a work such as Bridge to Terabithia, it’s not with the nostalgia many of my contemporaries likely experience.

Largely, I enjoyed Bridge to Terabithia, but I was expecting more. I’ve heard so much about how brutal it was, and it really wasn’t. I guess if I’d read this as a nine year old, raised on a diet of Saturday morning cartoons and The Hungry Caterpillar, I probably would’ve freaked out. Certainly, I would’ve been affected more. It’s not that Bridge to Terabithia didn’t work on me—it did—but nowhere near the level I’d hoped for. This is probably just a matter of being older than the intended audience.

Moving on, Bridge to Terabithia is a solid piece of children’s fiction. Jess and Leslie are wonderful characters who do not strive to merely be the stereotypes expected of them. The relationship set up between them is entirely organic, fun and endearing with no fear of becoming cloying. The setting is gorgeously drawn and the imagery of the river and the bridge were well done. The story is wonderfully paced and interesting from beginning to end. On the subject of ends, I thought the final passage with May Belle was an expertly crafted conclusion and likely the very best part of the novel. Certainly, this is one of the all-around better children's novels I have read.

(After I finished this novel, I learned of the real life inspiration, and this increased my appreciation for this novel. Paterson’s son, the inspiration for Jesse, also served as producer and screenwriter for the 2007 film.) ( )
  chrisblocker | Mar 28, 2019 |
I enjoyed reading this book for several reasons. To begin, I enjoyed the characters in the book. Jess and Leslie are both believable and well-developed characters. The struggles that Jess endures are both relatable and described well. I can relate to how Jess runs in order to try to make his father proud of him. Next, the plot includes both conflict and suspense. Jess has conflicts with other characters in the book, including his father, and there is suspense when Jess returns from the art trip and finds out Leslie died. We aren’t sure how Jess will handle the death, but as I kept reading, I was able to relate to the stages of grief that he displays. Lastly, this book really pushed me to think about the different issues that individuals can face. After reading this book, I am now more aware that everyone has their own struggles that we may or may not be aware of. This can include having a parent that may not approve of what you love or facing the death of a friend. The big idea in this story is that friendships can allow one to discover new aspects about themselves. ( )
  jmanga2 | Mar 8, 2019 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, Katherineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Bridge to Terabithia is a work of children's literature about two lonely children who create a magical forest kingdom. Paterson drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed. It is the story of fifth grader Jess Aarons, who becomes friends with his new neighbour Leslie Burke. After meeting Leslie, Jess is transformed. He becomes courageous and learns to let go of his frustration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401847, Paperback)

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,461,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible