Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Bridge To Terabithia (edition 1995)

by Katherine Paterson (Author)

The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm.
Member:LAS_Library
Title:Bridge To Terabithia
Authors:Katherine Paterson (Author)
Info:Scholastic Ltd (1995), Edition: English Language, 128 pages

Work Information

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (gilberts)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (kkunker)
    Cat Running by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (infiniteletters)
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer (weener)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Deux livres qui mettent en scène un enfant malheureux, un monde imaginaire comme échappatoire, la maladie, la mort. Deux très belles histoires.
    The Hideout by Sigrid Heuck (bookel)
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    True (. . . Sort Of) by Katherine Hannigan (kaledrina)

Boy struggles with life with two selfish older sisters and two typical little sisters, tired and oblivious mother and father. A new neighbor moves in and teaches him to enjoy life. Tragedy trikes. ( )
  MaryRachelSmith | Sep 6, 2022 |
It was time for him to pay back to the world in beauty and caring what Leslie had loaned him in vision and strength.

Ha, I just finished this book in a puddle, which surprised me, because I have read it before. I read it with my youngest granddaughter, when she was about eight, and I don’t remember if I cried then, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

It is a beautiful, sweet, poignant story. So perfect for a young person , or apparently for an old one. It was on a list of banned books.

“ Bridge To Terabithia has stayed in the top 100 banned/challenged books since it's publication. Like most children book authors whose books have been challenged, Paterson finds it “ironic” that her book has been banned.”

Hey, she isn’t the only one. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
Wonderful coming of age story. Two lonely young children become friends and create an imaginary world they can escape to: Terabithia. They are the king and queen of Terabithia, with a little puppy as their prince.

This was a really warm story. But...definitely took me right back to how truly mean little kids can be to each other. ( )
  sriddell | Aug 6, 2022 |
Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Paterson is an emotional young adult/children’s fiction novel set in rural Virginia. It follows the budding friendship of two ten year olds as they are confronted by issues surrounding class, childhood, and individuality. By creating their own fantastical world (Terabithia) across a nearby river in the woods, they create an escape from their unsettling school and home lives.
Although Bridge To Terabithia has been introduced, read and studied in many schools, it has still been challenged by parents and school boards. There were questions concerning the use of “Lord”, suggestions of witchcraft, and the encouragement of elaborate fantasy worlds which could “lead to confusion”.
It was banned from the classrooms of New Brighton Area School District in Pulaski Township, Pennsylvania in 1996 due to “profanity, disrespect for adults, and an elaborate fantasy world that might lead to confusion.”
  LMariaHG | Jul 17, 2022 |
One my favorite childhood books. My 4th grade teacher used to read to us after lunch everyday and this was a book she read to us. It kept me riveted, I couldn't wait for reading time everyday. I would scarf my food down, in anticipation of hearing more of this story. I bought this book at our next book fair at school. It was one of my prized possessions and I reread it multiple times as throughout the rest of my childhood.

Fast forward several years, I was ecstatic when I saw the trailer to the movie. I bought it the minute it was released. I have 5 children and they all love it. I have also recommended this book throughout the years to multiple friends and family members for their children. We still own the movie and multiple copies of the book. I still think it is one of the best children's books of all times.

Touching on some of the negatives in reviews....yes, it does include dysfunctional family content, poverty, bullies, and childhood death. These things are reality. You can't trap your children in a bubble, they should be exposed to real life and literature is one of the best ways to do so.

IMO, this book should be on every child's bookshelf! ( )
1 vote Jfranklin592262 | May 23, 2022 |
Valerie O. Patterson (Children's Literature)
Jesse Oliver Aarons, Jr. practices all summer so that he can be the fastest runner in his rural Virginia fifth-grade class. Despite his practice, however, he loses the race on the first day of school to Leslie Burke, the new girl in school whose hippy parents have moved from Washington, DC. Despite Jesse’s lost running dream, he becomes fast friends with Leslie. Together they build the imaginary kingdom of Terabitia in the woods. To Jesse, Leslie is “more than his friend. She was his other more exciting self--his way to Terabithia and all the worlds beyond.” When Jesse’s favorite teacher takes him to see the art museums in Washington one rainy day, he returns home to find his world permanently changed by tragedy--Leslie’s death. Despite his heartache, Jesse moves forward, a stronger and more whole individual for his friendship with Leslie. Written by the author for her then young son whose best friend was killed by lightning, this Newbery Medal winner moves the heart and spirit with its beautiful writing, wrenching honesty, and hopeful ending. 2005 (orig. 1977), HarperCollins, $5.99. Ages 9 to 12.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Valerie O. Patterson

Paterson, Katherineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wrote this book
for my son
David Lord Paterson,
but after he read it
he asked me to put Lisa's name
on this page as well,
and so I do.

For

David Paterson and Lisa Hill,

banzai
Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity - Good.

Na volta às aulas, Jess conhece uma aluna nova: Leslie. Os dois tornam-se grandes amigos e criam um reino imaginário, chamado Terabítia, onde estão protegidos das ameaças da vida cotidiana. Até que um dia, uma fatalidade os separa.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140366180, 0141323477

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,906,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible