Brimstone by Douglas Preston

Brimstone (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Douglas Preston

Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Brimstone
Authors:Douglas Preston
Info:Warner Vision (2005), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:Literary Fiction

Brimstone by Douglas Preston (2004)

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (christiguc)
    christiguc: The character of Count Fosco in Brimstone is based on the Count Fosco Collins created in The Woman in White.

English (46)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (49)
Another great read in the Pendergast series. While some of these books aren't always a 5-star read, they're still incredibly enjoyable and I always find myself looking to grab the next one of the series at Barnes & Noble when it gets released each year. Hats off to Pendergast and all of his investigations. ( )
1 vote justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
Another enjoyable step forward in my reading of all the Pendergast novels in the order written. This is the first of the Diogenes trilogy - although technically had has not yet made a personal appearance (or has he...based on ending cliffhanger??).

These authors' Pendergast novels are so readable - this one took me only a week or so. Looking forward to the next chapter of this series to be started soon.
  highlander6022 | Apr 20, 2018 |
In this Pendergast novel, someone is found, seemingly burned from the inside-out and there is a burnt hoof-print in the room.

I liked the beginning and end of the book, but much of the middle lost my interest. I’ve listened to many of the Pendergast novels, but have not been happy with them, so I finally tried an ebook, but I’m not sure it’s worth another chance. This one was way too long, and I don’t think I’m enjoying them enough to continue on. The ending has me a bit intrigued, but I’m not sure it’s enough. Hmmm, I’ve looked back and I liked more than I thought of the previous books. I guess it’s just the couple I didn’t like as much that stuck in my head. Maybe I should keep going, after all. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 13, 2018 |
Once again, the authors have produced an intense and intriguing read that had me in its grip from the first page. I love Pendergast and I love how he is constantly changing with each novel. There are so many aspects to him and I cannot wait to catch more glimpses of them! I'm glad that the authors brought D'Agosta back; he was a really interesting character and I hope that he continues to play a strong role in the series. There are two other characters who were introduced in this novel, but I'm not going to mention anything about them for fear of spoilers; I'm looking forward to seeing how the authors will flesh them out in the upcoming novels. I found the mystery itself to be very intriguing; anything hinting at paranormal activity will get me going! With the Pendergast series, I find that I'm always tricked into believing that something supernatural is the cause, only to find out I'm completely wrong. I will admit that this was not one of my favorites; the reveal was not as strong as it could be and the ending was a tad bit lackluster compared to other novels in the series. However, it was still an engaging read and I'm excited to see what the authors have in store in the next Pendergast novel!

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
"A claw print scorched into the wall... The stench of sulfur in the air... Has the devil come to claim his due?"
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Jul 6, 2016 |
De nuevo el talento del tándem Preston-Child se conjuga para ofrecernos una excelente mezcla de terror, investigación policial y aventuras, en esta ocasión aderezada con toques de novela gótica. Nuestro viejo conocido, el inspector Pendergast, se tendrá que enfrentar a una serie de asesinatos de tintes diabólicos. La investigación lo conducirá hasta una extravagante familia italiana, propietaria de un violín de una valor incalculable.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Preston & Childmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kankaanpää, JaakkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Barry and Jody Turkus. Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica.
Agnes Torres parked her white Ford Escort in the little parking area outside the hedge and stepped into the cool dawn air.

A body is found in the attic of a fabulous Long Island estate.

There is a claw print scorched into the floor, and the stench of sulfur chokes the air.

Has the devil come to claim his due?

A body is found in the attic of a fabulous Long Island estate. There is a hoofprint scorched into the floor, and the stench of sulfur chokes the air. When FBI Special Agent Pendergast investigates the gruesome crime, he discovers that thirty years ago four men conjured something unspeakable. Has the devil come to claim his due?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

Art critic Jeremy Grove is found dead, his face frozen in a mask of terror. His body temperature is grotesquely high; he is discovered in a room barricaded from the inside; the smell of brimstone is everywhere ... and the unmistakable imprint of a claw is burned into the wall. As more bodies are discovered--their only connection the bizarre but identical manner of death--the world begins to wonder if the Devil has, is fact, come to collect his due. Teaming with Police Officer Vincent D'Agosta, Agent Pendergast is determined to solve this case that appears to defy all logic. Their investigation takes them from the luxury estates of Long Island to the crumbling, legend-shrouded castles of the Italian countryside, where Pendergast faces the most treacherous and dangerous adversary of his career.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible