Storm Track by Margaret Maron

Storm Track (2000)

by Margaret Maron

Synopsis: There is a hurricane coming and people are rather uncomfortable waiting to see if it will really hit the area. In the meantime life goes on as usual and Deborah is busy playing baseball with a bunch of lawyers and policemen. Nearby, a married woman is murdered. Who is the culprit? Is it the husband or one of the 3 other men she's bedding, including one of Deborah's cousins?
Review: One of her better books with a good story line and some side tales that are every bit as intriguing. ( )
  DrLed | Jan 18, 2017 |
Hurricane on the way; let's have a hurricane party at dad's house.
Fran is more hurricane than usual and is compounded by murder in a motel. The local loose lady is strangled with a stocking as she awaits her current date. Many suspects, some related to Deborah, some suspicions carom about before she sorts it out. Another look at life in NC by an excellent storyteller. ( )
  jamespurcell | Nov 19, 2016 |
Hurricane Fran is barrelling down toward Judge Deborah Knott's Colleton County, but that isn't even the worst of it. A young woman is found murdered in town: Lynn Bullock was the wife of Jason Bullock, a lawyer in Colleton. It looks like Lynn's philandering has finally caught up with her. Deborah begins her own investigation -- mostly in attempt to make sure that her cousin, Reed, who was involved with Lynn, wasn't also a part of her murder. But as Deborah keeps digging, she finds that Lynn and Jason's story goes much deeper and links in with many of the townspeople of Colleton County. When someone else turns up dead, Deborah knows there is more to Lynn's death than meets the eye.

Goodreads tells me that I haven't picked up one of Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott mysteries since 2009, which is hard to believe, because reading one of these cozy mystery novels is always easy and familiar. My kids and I have been participating in our library's Summer Reads program, and this year the program gives away free books to adults, too! (How cool is that?) I chose a Maron book for June's prize and quickly realized how long it had been since I read a Deborah Knott mystery--and how many books I'd need to read to catch up with the one I picked up (#13, I think).

So here we are. I have a soft spot for Maron's mysteries due to my love of southern literature. She has a lovely and easy way of capturing her southern characters--their drawls, their southern ways, the complicated (yet simple) sprawling nature of Deborah's large extended family. This novel features a sweet young boy named Stan, who easily steals the show, as well as Deborah's typical interactions with her family and friends. While I always feel like trouble finds Deborah awfully easily (the murder rate in Colleton County is awfully high), these books are enjoyable, quick reads. Even after all these years, it was easy to pick back up again with Deborah and her clan. Deborah's sleuthing isn't particularly complicated--and the ending was fairly quick, with a twist that I had started to guess--but it was still a comfortable mystery. I always enjoy Deborah and will try to keep catching up with the series over the next few months. Oh who are we kidding... years. I still have a ways to go before I catch up and can read that free book from the library's program!

My Blog ~ Facebook ~ Twitter
  justacatandabook | Jul 20, 2016 |
"Storms are on the horizon for those in Dobbs and the surrounding countryside." THat tagline is a pale description of what the actual story, or more specifically stories, are. There seem like quite a few stories actually. There's the murder of a young woman, there's the usual Kidd/Deb storyline, an interseting storyline with Reverand Freeman and his family, and, of course, there's the story of the literal storm, Hurricane Fran.

Of course, it's a novel so every storyline fits into the grand puzzle that is "Storm Track".

And ironically, because I'm not a great fan of any natural disaster, from Hurricane to Earthquake, my favorite part of the story was the storm and its description. And the author fit the storm in with the rest of the mystery very, very well (and not just as a simple distraction to stall the conclusion of the mystery).

There was also more Dwight than Kidd and in addition to seeing more of Deb's cousin Reid, there was a whole lot of family interaction, which Maron is amazing at writing. Definitely a five star novel. ( )
  DanieXJ | May 14, 2014 |
Good summer reading, especially during hurricane season. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
For Sarah Nell Johnson Weaver: First cousin, friend first
Afternoon shadows shaded the dip in the deserted dirt road where a battered Chevy pickup sat with the motor idling.

Lynn Bullock's used body is found in a local motel room. Her lawyer husband would never have imagined such an end for his wife, yet the people of Colleton County, North Carolina, have always known her as a reckless tramp.

Judge Deborah Knott may be a woman of a very different profession but she is not unfamiliar with the complications of men and family. Drawn into an investigation of the murder when suspicion turns to her good-looking cousin Reid Stephenson, Judge Knott is amazed to discover a shocking secret romance involving people she knows and respects.

When the murderer strikes again Judge Knott stands amid a whirlwind of suspicions, and as Hurricane Fran, one of nature's femme fatales, storms her way up the Carolina coast there is little hope of resolution. Fran ushers in a destruction that will permanently transform the North Carolina landscape and challenge Judge Knott with a surprising revelation about those closest to her - and perhaps a justice more powerful than her own.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0892966564, Hardcover)

When it comes to the weaving of tangled webs, you'll find none finer nor more deceptive than those on the loom of Margaret Maron's Storm Track, the seventh entry in her critically acclaimed Judge Deborah Knott mystery series.

Colleton County, North Carolina, is home to Judge Knott, her moonshining daddy (the series opener, 1992's Bootlegger's Daughter, swept the Edgar Allen Poe, Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards in unprecedented fashion), and more brothers and cousins than hairs on a big dog's back. Likable young lawyer Jason Bullock lives there too, as does his lovely and--unbeknownst to him--extraordinarily unfaithful wife--an awkward situation all around, which turns even more so when she turns up dead in a local motel, wearing little more than whimsy and a wink:

"Who would kill her, Reid?"

"Hell, I don't know. Usually you'd say the husband, but Bullock was on the ball field, right? Millard King, too."

"She slept with Millard King? When?"

He shrugged. "Before me, after me, during me--I don't keep tabs."

Clues abound, suspects emerge, and chief among them is the judge's cousin, Reid; a cad, certainly, but a killer? Judge Knott thinks not and sets out to prove it, as the body count rises and Hurricane Fran commences to lower the boom.

A native North Carolinian, Maron opens a window onto the New South by concerning herself more with her multilayered characters and their intertwined lives than with overstyled prose or plot contrivances. An altogether satisfying mystery, Storm Track will surely propel readers straight through this series and into the prolific Maron's other series featuring Lt. Sigrid Harald, NYPD. --Michael Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:42 -0400)

Violent storms often hit Colleton County, North Carolina, but when a local attorney's promiscuous wife is killed, the murder blows the lids off more homes than last year's hurricane. As the victim's numerous lovers--including a handsome cousin of Judge Deborah Knott--scurry for cover stories, the judge begins her own investigation. What she finds is a tangled web of extramarital affairs and secrets linking half the county ... while a massive hurricane rages up the Carolina coast, and a very real human killer prepares to strike again.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,067,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible