The Japanese Kitchen: A Book of Essential…

by Kimiko Barber (Author)

Here is a mix of traditional and easy modern-day recipes for creating Japanese food. Kimiko Barber presents 100 essential ingredients used in Japanese cooking, giving in-depth information on such topics as appearance, taste, manufacture and culinary uses.
Member:Justjosie
Title:The Japanese Kitchen: A Book of Essential Ingredients with 200 Authentic Recipes
Authors:Kimiko Barber (Author)
Info:Kyle Books (2004), Edition: First Edition, 240 pages

The Japanese Kitchen: A Book of Essential Ingredients with 200 Authentic Recipes by Kimiko Barber

Japanese Cooking/History. Excellent source of background information, with some recipes to try. Many of these ingredients may be difficult to find for people without a nearby Japantown, but interesting nonetheless. Because of the cuisine's dependence on rice and rice flours, I also found it useful for gluten-free ideas (will definitely try to hunt down some mochi gome products for making Japanese dessert cakes and sweets). For more bento-friendly recipes, see also The Just Bento Cookbook.

As with most cookbooks, I found it helpful to be able to borrow this from my local library rather than purchasing, so for those of you who are contemplating giving cookbooks as a gift, please check your library first. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
For those that are trying to get into Japanese cooking, or for those that already are and want some really good information and recipes, this book is indispensable. Kimiko Barber has an easy writing style, a great amount of knowledge, and a magical way of making Eastern food accessible and tasty for the Western palate.

By approaching Japanese food in its core categories, one can easily see how to assemble dishes straight out of the book or with one's own imagination. The recipes are broken into their component parts, making it easy to borrow from multiple recipes to create something new. In addition, the various food sections help demystify the items that I see in the local Asian grocery store, and this book has introduced me to several that I never would have even noticed.

Thanks to this book, vegetable packed noodle bowls with broth made from two cheap ingredients and little rice dumplings in fruit have become staples in my home... and I have only just scratched the surface of the knowledge.
  grady.cameron | Sep 20, 2007 |

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,266,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible