dismiss

Mustan lordin paluu : Luke Skywalkerin…

Mustan lordin paluu : Luke Skywalkerin seikkailuja (edition 1978)

by Alan Dean Foster, Ari Koskinen

Series: Star Wars

The further adventures of Luke Skywalker as he fights for right and justice against the evil Imperial forces on the planet Mimbran.
Member:googoomuck
Title:Mustan lordin paluu : Luke Skywalkerin seikkailuja
Authors:Alan Dean Foster
Other authors:Ari Koskinen
Info:Juva : WSOY, 1978.

Splinter Of The Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster

A great Star Wars story before Star Wars became great. Love the way Rogue One managed to reference it decades later. We need more of this from the Star Wars Cannon instead of useless and politically correct characters like Rose and Finn. ( )
  Joe73 | Oct 23, 2019 |
Written right after A New Hope was released in theaters, Splinter of the Mind's Eye was meant to act as the framework for a cheap sequel. Set on a single planet with a limited cast of characters (not including Han Solo since it wasn't certain whether or not Harrison Ford was going to be coming back), it would have created a fairly generic (and yet really, really bad) sci-fi action/adventure story. If this book had been made into a movie, Star Wars would probably be a niche 70s thing rather than a decades-spanning, global phenomenon.

I know that a lot of fans have problems reading this book simply because there is some very unsubtle Luke/Leia lusting going on. Personally, I’m not too skeezed out because I am very aware of the fact that this book was published immediately after ANH, a movie which was advertised heavily as a romance between Luke and Leia. Of course we now know that Luke and Leia are twins but at the time there was literally no reason whatsoever to believe that ship couldn’t happen except for perhaps a few lines from Han that hinted at a future possibility of something between him and Leia. So while it is a bit creepy, Luke and Leia didn’t know, Alan Dean Foster didn’t know, and the fans didn’t know that Luke and Leia should never ever happen so I just let it slide for the most part. I am however hyper aware of those moments and read through them as fast as humanly possible because while I’ll let it slide it’s still creepy and I don’t want to think about it.

Another thing I’m hyper aware of throughout this book is that it was written in the 70s and it seems based off of the serials that George Lucas wanted to base his movies off of. Every single chapter ends in an ellipsis and a somewhat “forboding” statement about the current or future predicament of our heroes. The general narrative style definitely calls to mind a cheesy, over-dramatic narrator who likes to use metaphors and adjectives in incredibly….interesting ways. For the most part, the narrator annoys me. It’s just not a very well-written book for the most part. The plot is predictable (and not just because I already knew it from the comic; even the first time through you could very very easily guess how everything was going to end) and for the most part there wasn’t much to keep my attention. I kept reading because a few of the issues I’ll discuss below kept me morbidly fascinated.

One thing that drove me crazy throughout the book was poor characterization. Again, I can understand why it happened. Foster had one movie in which we are just being introduced not only to the characters but also to an entirely new galaxy that was completely and utterly different from anything that had been seen before. Foster used stereotypes heavily. Luke wasn’t the idealistic farmboy we know him to be but was instead the intrepid hero that could get he and Leia out of any sticky situation they had landed themselves in (sometimes literally). He studied languages when he was sitting at home, bored, and so can magically speak with this alien species that he has never met before! He can think on his feet and is a great liar! He reacts calmly to blowing the ever loving fuck out of a temple turned prison/office building! He’s strong enough to put aside his lusty feelings for Leia because she is his superior in a hell of a lot of ways! It’s all so unbelievable.

And then there’s Leia. The way he treats Leia makes me want to punch things repeatedly. Throughout the book Leia seems petrified of Imperials. She has a full on panic attack when the prospect of prison was presented to her. Now I’m not gonna say that her experience on the Death Star wouldn’t have had any effect on her because I’m sure it did. But I somehow doubt that effect was to turn her into a simpering damsel in distress. Leia should NEVER be simply a damsel in distress as she was for 90% of this novel. What’s more Leia is a princess, a senator, and a highly respected Rebellion leader. There is no way in hell that she would get into a mud fight with Luke that would draw attention to themselves when they’re supposed to remain incognito. Nor would she continually say the wrong thing and let her temper get the better of her. She would know exactly what was required of her to keep her and Luke out of trouble and have done it, whether she liked it or not. There was pretty much no point throughout the book that I felt like the Leia Foster wrote even remotely resembled the Leia in ANH. And that was incredibly disappointing.

Even more persistent than poor characterization was the incredibly speciest (because I’m going to maintain that’s a word) attitude that not only the Imperials but Luke and Leia as well portrayed. There were some moments where Leia seemed to be trying to get Luke to realize that not all cultures are the same but the way it was done was to imply that other cultures are simply barbaric and not yet mature enough to reach human’s level of civilization. There was also the problem of how the natives of Mimban were referred to. One species was simple called “greenies.” They were given no actual name and they are portrayed as a simpering, subservient race that would do anything, even lick the boots of miners, to get even a drop of alcohol. There is so much wrong there I can’t even begin to get into it. And there’s the fact that another species, the Conway, were occasionally referred to as “it.” THEY ARE A SENTIENT SPECIES WHO CAN AND WILL KICK YOUR FUCKING ASS YOU DO NOT REFER TO THEM AS “IT.” R2-D2 and C-3P0 even get referred to as “he” occasionally why would these people not be similarly designated? Because you don’t speak their language? Because they use spears instead of guns? Because they aren’t up to your level of “civilization” in general? Go fuck yourself, Luke, for that bullshit.

Overall, the book was pretty much awful in every way with no real redeeming factors and more than a few factors that made me want to pull my hair out. ( )
  irasobrietate | May 28, 2018 |
2014 re-read. A novel that did not pass the test of time. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
I read this one back in the late 70's, when we all were very high on Star Wars episode IV and waiting patiently for the sequel. In the meantime, we had this novel to carry on with our favorite Jedi in-training and the fair Princess. I quite enjoyed this one as a teenager. ( )
1 vote Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
I actually read this ; I think I was 10 ( )
1 vote | Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |

Alan Dean Fosterprimary authorall editionscalculated
McQuarrie,RalphCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

How beautiful was the universe, Luke thought.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,628,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible