Star Wars: The Approaching Storm by Alan…

Star Wars: The Approaching Storm (edition 2003)

by Alan Dean Foster (Author)

Five CDs, 6 hrs. abridged Read by In the years since the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, the Republic has continued to crumble, and more and more, the Jedi are needed to help the galactic government maintain order. As Star Wars: Episode II opens, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker have just returned from a mission on a world called Ansion. Written by beloved Star Wars veteran Alan Dean Foster, and starring a new character from the upcoming movie, The Approaching Storm tells the story of that daring mission. The Republic is decaying, even under the leadership of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, who was elected to save the galaxy from collapsing under the forces of discontent. On the tiny but strategic planet of Ansion, a powerful faction is on the verge of joining the growing secessionist movement. The urban dwellers wish to expand into the prairies outside their cities–the ancestral territory of the fierce, independent Ansion nomads. If their demands are not met, they will secede–an act that could jump-start a chain reaction of withdrawal and rebellion by other worlds of the Republic. At the Chancellor’s request, the Jedi Council sends two Jedi Knights, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luminara Unduli, to resolve the conflict and negotiate with the elusive nomads. Undaunted, Obi-Wan and Luminara, along with their Padawans Anakin Skywalker and Barriss Offee, set out across the wilderness. Many perils lie waiting to trap them. The Jedi will have to fulfill near-impossible tasks, befriend wary strangers, and influence two great armies to complete their quest, stalked all the while by an enemy sworn to see the negotiations collapse and the mission fail . . .… (more)
Member:Reddog999
Title:Star Wars: The Approaching Storm
Authors:Alan Dean Foster (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2003), Edition: Reissue, 384 pages

Work Information

The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster

English (7)  French (1)  All languages (8)
More of a 2.5⭐ but I'm being generous. I really liked this intro to Barriss and especially her loghtsaber dance which sounded amazing. There were a couple of good moments developing Anakin's character and where his head is at pre-AotC. But damn if this book wasn't super ableist. Like they literally said that people with mental illnesses are so addled that Jedi can't detect anything from them? And then had Barriss heal two aliens whose physiology she knew nothing about with no repercussions whatsoever? First the dismissal and then the amazing cure just rubbed me the wrong way. And the fact that Luminara and Barriss were introduced by having Luminara intimidate away attemped rapists? Fucking must you??? I don't know why I ever expected better from the dude who wrote Splinter of the Mind's Eye, though. He was a sexist, racist trash pile then, too. Apparently it was too much to hope that 25 years allowed him some growth. ( )
  irasobrietate | Aug 31, 2020 |
taking place before Attack of the Clones, it is the story of 2 Jedi and 2 Padawans forging an alliance on a world so that it doesn't secede from the Republic and draw many others with it. Obi-wan, Anakain, and Luminara Unduli and Barris Offee. This story was plodding, to put it nicely. It bordered on the I'm not gonna finish this" line. Would never buy it, for sure.

Update: I did buy it, for continuity's sake, sigh." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Of the book Star Wars The Approaching Storm, Starburst said: "ENTERTAINING AND INTELLIGENT...This book is pure class all the way....The final page is a great climax." I couldn't agree more. This novel reminds me of the Jedi Quest series, except it's a little less juvenile. Obi-Wan Kenobi and his padawan, Anakin Skywalker are accompanied by Luminara Unduli and her own padawan, Barriss Offee as they journey to the planet of Ansion to settle a border dispute that Jedi master Mace Windu makes reference to in Attack Of The Clones.

A lot of great, essential groundwork is laid for Star Wars Episode 2 in this book. Contrary to my original beliefs, a good rousing Star Wars tale can take place without the involvement of the Clone armies, and that is demonstrated in this exiting action epic.

Although it did take some time to get going, I believe that Star Wars The Approaching Storm fully deserves a five star rating. ( )
  Revan97 | Sep 2, 2014 |
This was an ok book as far as star wars books go, but it never really grabbed my attention, I like how they portrayed Obi-wan through out, wise and seemingly ready for any situation. A lot of the book is from the point of view from either Barriss or her Master, which I didn't particularly like wishing to view more from obi-wans perspective. Anakin was also portrayed well, personaly troubled and impatient, the only thing that I didn't like was you never really saw any of his vast potential in action they talk about it and bring it up many times, but it is never really shown, after all he is supposed to be one of the strongest in the force any Jedi have seen in 1000 years.

The story and plot as a whole was good, I did like the introduction of the Ansionian aliens and their vital role in assisting the Jedi, the only character I disliked on a large scale was the Gwurran, Tooqui who borders on being a second Jar-Jar meaning unwanted and annoying. The forces at work against the Jedi are smart and creative in their attempts to foil Obi-Wan and company. All and all there are better star wars books out there but then again there are worse ones too. ( )
  Anduril85 | Sep 2, 2008 |
My review of this book, which originally appeared in VOYA, also appears on the Barnes & Noble website here:

(Click on the the "Editorial Reviews" tab to view) ( )
  amysisson | Jun 10, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,964,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible