Melusine by Sarah Monette

Authors:Sarah Monette
Info:Ace (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Tags:sarah monette

Mélusine by Sarah Monette

English (55)  German (1)  All languages (56)
I'm adding this series to a personal subgenre I refer to as "literary crack" -- highly addictive, couldn't put it down, not actually sure I'd recommend it. But as soon as the next one comes out, I'll be there. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
The pacing feels somewhat erratic -- partly because of the blurb, and the fact it takes the two protagonists nearly half the novel to meet for the first time -- but Monette's prose is beautiful, and her characters and her world are exquisitely imagined. The reader is still left with questions at the end, but they are secondary to the story, the kind of questions that ought to arise from any story of believable humans. ( )
  tribblemaker | May 3, 2018 |
Unfortunately, while the story sounded really good on the back, I found the wording and vernacular so confusing I couldn't get past the first chapter. Maybe if there had been something in the back of the book to help with all the unfamiliar slang I might have continued, but as it was I had so much trouble understanding what was going on and keeping it straight while trying to understand the wording I just gave up. Sorry! ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Felix Harrogate trained for years to masquerade as a noble and be part of the wizarding elite of Melusine. But his sordid past is revealed and he crawls back to his old master--who uses him in a ritual to destroy the protective magic of the Melusine. Believed to be a traitor, with his mind broken from the ritual, Felix's only ally is his criminal half-brother Mildmay. Together, they search for a cure for Felix's madness. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
The first half of the book is flawless, but the second half is really a different story altogether, and it's really not quite as good. Still, I'll definitely be following Monette! (Melusine was her first book; she's already published two sequels, which I'm on the lookout for.)

Set in the dark-fantasy city of Melusine, which of course is full of decadence, crime, romance, wealth & glamour and dire poverty - not to mention magic and danger - the main character is Mildmay, a young, scarred, dangerous but decent-at-heart thief. Hired by an out-of-his-league courtesan to steal some jewels that she believes are rightfully hers, Mildmay of course develops a fascination with the beautiful but not-so-streetwise woman.
The first half of the book is a just gorgeous, original tense story that spirals deftly into tragedy... just wonderful.

The second part of the book deals more with Mildmay's encounters with a wizard, Felix, who is the victim of a plot to make him the scapegoat for intrigue at high levels, and is subject to a spell that makes him appear insane. His physical resemblance to Mildmay is remarkable, and leads the two to a connection that their different social classes render unlikely... it's also a good (well-better-than-average) story, but doesn't have the emotional impact of the first part of the book, and when the action leaves Monette's beautifully-realized city, the aesthetics falter a bit, entering a more typical-fantasy realm.

The only really unfortunate thing about this book is the cover (featuring a cheesy, hunky topless tattooed guy) - it's so embarrassingly bad that I took off the dust jacket to read it - and good luck suggesting the novel to a guy!
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Sarah Monetteprimary authorall editionscalculated
York, JudyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For A.L.M.
This is the worst story I know about hocuses. And it’s true.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014178, Mass Market Paperback)

Mélusine-a city of secrets and lies, pleasure and pain, magic and corruption. It is here that wizard Felix Harrowgate and cat-burglar Mildmay the Fox will find their destinies intertwined in a world of sensuality and savagery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:01 -0400)

Felix Harrowgate, a handsome, well-respected wizard among his aristocratic peers, finds his dark past as an abused slave coming back to haunt him and joins forces with Mildmay the Fox, a thief and assassin, to stop the demons of darkness.

Sarah Monette is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,390,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible