Catwings by Ursula Leguin

Catwings (original 1988; edition 2003)

by Ursula Leguin

Series: Catwings (1)

Member:ReadingNiamh
Title:Catwings
Authors:Ursula Leguin
Info:Scholastic (2003), Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:Children

Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin (1988)

English (35)  French (1)  All languages (36)
Oh snap, I completely remember this book. I guess I had a much earlier introduction to Le Guin than I ever expected. Another point to the 'everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten' crowd.

As a kid I loved kitties, and this is a book about kitties...with wings. I was sold, forever and ever. I eventually learned to cope with the fact that my kitties would never sprout wings or talk.

And now I find out there were sequels? Um, let the great hunt begin.

Catwings

Next: 'Catwings Return' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Jane Tabby is as confused as anybody why her four little kittens are born with wings. But her primary concern is making sure they are safe, and the addition of wings mean they can fly away to a better place than the dumpster where they live now. As the four little kittens embark on life without their mother, they encounter other animals and potential dangers.

As a child I read this book and loved it. As an adult, it didn't quite hold the same appeal, but I'm sure other young readers will love it as much as I did on the first read. It's a short and simple fantasy, with just a soupcon of real danger without getting too dark. The gentle illustrations don't add too much to the story, but it is good for youngsters to have a visual in a book like this.

Clocking in at just over 30 pages, this book is perfect for beginning readers who are just about to transition to chapter books but aren't quite ready for lengthy reads on their own. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jun 10, 2018 |
Four little kittens are born with wings. Don't worry about why. When they are ready to leave the nest (both literal and figurative) they fly away from their big city alley home and move to the country, where life is very different but not much easier.

An extremely short children's book. I liked the concept of kittens with wings. I enjoyed the depiction of the countryside and that life there wasn't ideal. I thought the city alley was unnecessarily bleak, although the kittens' mom (a normal cat) was just fine with it. There is not much plot to speak of. However, the book is worth reading just for the gorgeous illustrations alone. ( )
  norabelle414 | Feb 1, 2018 |
A short and sweet beginning chapter book about some cats that were born with wings.
Their mother is afraid for them in the city alley they were born in- and encourages them to learn to use their wings and fly away.
The four cats fly to the forest and begin to learn how to survive on their own.
This book was originally published in the 80's. This book could open up discussion about prejudice and how we should treat people that are different than us.
I want to read more of the series, even though it was meant for very young children. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
Lovely! Just what I would expect from her in a child's book! ( )
  bgknighton | Jul 9, 2017 |

Le Guin, Ursula K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schindler, S. D.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Draghi, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the cats I've loved before.
Mrs. Jane Tabby could not explain why all four of her children had wings.

Mrs. Jane Tabby cannot explain why all four of her kittens were born with wings. But when life on the city streets becomes too dangerous, it is clear that her dream for her children might some day come true. They can fly away from the city slums of their birth. And one day, they do. But not even their mother could have foreseen the hazards of country living.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:46 -0400)

Four young cats with wings leave the city slums in search of a safe place to live, finally meeting two children with kind hands.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,470,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible