The Hallowed Hunt by Lois Mcmaster Bujold
The half-mad Prince Boleso has been slain by a noblewoman he had intended to defile. It falls to Lord Ingrey kin Wilfcliff to transport the prince to his burial place and to bring the accused killer, Lady Ijada, to judgment. His mission is an ugly and delicate one, for the imminent death of the old Hallow King has placed the crown in play, and the road he travels with his burden and his prisoner is fraught with danger. But in the midst of political chaos, magic has the fiercer hold on Ingrey's destiny, and Ijada herself may turn out to be the only one he dares trust.… (more)
Member:dorktv
Title:The Hallowed Hunt
Authors:Lois Mcmaster Bujold
Info:Harper Voyager (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages

Work Information

The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold

Recently added byzloon132, private library, samaelinfernus, kamintra, Sleveille, TazMatilda, EckSchLib
    The Golden Key by Kate Elliott (Severn)
    Severn: Different style of writing, yet similar plot content. Definitely recommended.

(Review on first reading 2011-10-21&22) 2 stars.
Marginally more interesting than "Paladin of Souls".

(Review on second reading 2022-09-22 to 24) 4 stars.

I decided to re-read this book since it is an "historical" precursor of the author's current (2021) series about the Learned Divine Pendric and his demon Desdemona.

Well, what a difference 11 years makes!
This time I found the story engrossing, the characters entertaining, and the wit up to Bujold's high standards.
The milieu I always did like (from "The Curse of Chalion"), but it is much richer than I remembered. ( )
  librisissimo | Sep 25, 2022 |
This one lacked just a little something that the first 2 volumes in this series had. Maybe it was that the main character wasn't quite as engaging or maybe it was that the world building was a little confusing. Maybe it was because the two main characters or the hero and the woman he was interested in didn't solve this thing together. I mean in neither of the first two did the hero and heroine solve the crisis together but here it just seemed like they should have considering how it was set up. Also the hero here didn't seem to be in charge of the run away team. He was more acted upon than acting. Still it was good but Ms. Bujold sets a pretty high bar for herself. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
While not as strong as the Chalion books, well worth the read. ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
When I did manage to finish the book, I thanked my stars that I hadn't start with this else I would never ever have read the other two. Seriously, this book was so different from the other two, which I loved, by the way. It was plodding and boring, with none of the charismatic characterization I had come to associate with Bujold.
Where Cazaril and Ista (the protagonists of the first two books) are deep characters, wise, brave, and above all, evolving throughout the books, Ingrey comes across as rather dull-witted with more brawn than brain. He can barely put two and two together, needs to be led by the nose to understand anything that's happening, and even turns the act of falling in love boring. Ijada is no better. Though a trifle smarter, her character is under lock and key almost the entire time and she seems to lose all control of herself, or rather her libido, when faced with Ingrey. Sheesh! It was like reading an inane historical romance at times.
Hallana was, perhaps, the best of the lot, but she didn't have much to do. It would have been refreshing to find her more actively involved in the plot, but she wasn't. And the plot: oh, it was one of the weakest ever! Given that Horseriver was immortal and a fiend, this was his ultimage revenge: denying a few people's souls to the Gods. Seriously! And he faded so tamely from the story. It was as if the author was laughing in my face and saying "Ha, fooled you into reading the whole book!"
Not a book I'd recommend. ( )
  Chandna_Agarwal | Apr 8, 2022 |
A man with unknown depths, Ingrey meets Injara, a woman with newfound powers. Together they must sort the mysteries of what is happening in and around them. I very much enjoyed this story. I love the spiritual world which Bujold has built here, and the few interactions with the gods of this world are always interesting. I find the faith and doubts of the people to be very real. Here is a partial quote regarding the choice of a few not to go to the gods when they die. "Heaven weeps, but free will is sacred. The meaning of yes is created by the ability to say no." It is this sort of insight which makes me give four stars to the work. It can be chewy for introspection, but sprinkled lightly, not heavy handed. It is the full-fleshed characters and world that makes me know I am always going to enjoy reading a work of Bujold. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Jan 8, 2022 |
Bujold's ability to sustain a breathless pace of action while preserving a heady sense of verisimilitude in a world of malignant wonders makes this big novel occasionally brilliant—and not a word too long.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (starred review) (pay site) (May 12, 2005)

Bujold, Lois McMasterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bowers, David MCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrano,Ervinjacket designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The prince was dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,885,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible