dismiss

Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of…

Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in their Struggle for… (edition 1995)

by Elan Golomb (Author)

233None100,665 (3.88)6
In this compelling book, Elan Golomb identifies the crux of the emotional and psychological problems of millions of adults. Simply put, the children of narcissist -- offspring of parents whose interest always towered above the most basic needs of their sons and daughters -- share a common belief: They believe they do not have the right to exist. The difficulties experienced by adult children of narcissists can manifest themselves in many ways: for examples, physical self-loathing that takes form of overeating, anorexia, or bulimia; a self-destructive streak that causes poor job performance and rocky personal relationships; or a struggle with the self that is perpetuated in the adult's interaction with his or her own children. These dilemmas are both common and correctable, Dr. Golomb tells us. With an empathic blend of scholarship and case studies, along with her own personal narrative of her fight for self, Dr. Golomb plumbs the depths of this problem, revealing its mysterious hold on the affairs of otherwise bright, aware, motivated, and worthy people. Trapped in the Mirror explores. the nature of the paralysis and lack of motivation so many adults feel stress and its role in exacerbating childhood wrongs why do many of our relationships seem to be "reruns" of the past how one's body image can be formed by faulty parenting how anger must be acknowledge to be overcome and, most important, how even the most traumatized self can be healed. Rooted in a profoundly humanist traditional approach, and suffused with the benefit of the latest knowledge about intrafamily relationships, Trapped in the Mirror offers more than the average self-help book; it is truly the first self-heal book for millions.… (more)
Member:BrownFamily
Title:Trapped in the Mirror: Adult Children of Narcissists in their Struggle for Self
Authors:Elan Golomb (Author)
Info:William Morrow & Company, Inc. (1995), Edition: Copyright 1992, 272 pages

Work Information

Trapped in the Mirror by Elan Golomb

No reviews
The negative introject always feels like a foreign, attacking entity. Its cruelty comes from the unmitigated hostility of the parent as well as the anger of the child at his frustrations.
Children of narcissists fear to know themselves, particularly when what they find within is anger. Life with vituperative parents forces them into a compliant posture. When things go wrong they retreat and do not know that much of what they fear from others is a projection of their inner lives. Feelings of their own that are attributed to others make the world a frightening place.
In families of narcissists where criticism is favored, there are unspoken tenets of behavior, like: "He who wields the knife is powerful. If I tell you what to do, I know more. Smarter is better" and "I raise myself by putting you down." I was raised under such an onslaught and was too often hurt to shrug it off. Children of narcissists can develop emotional soft spots from parental pounding. We are like tenderized veal. Criticism keeps hitting home because we believe what is said. Children of narcissists have been pounded into belief. Our parents know our sore points because they originally created them.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,987,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible