Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules…

Journey to the Center of the Earth (original 1864; edition 2022)

by Jules Verne (Author)

13,098205393 (3.72)492
An adventurous geology professor mounts an expedition that descends into a subterranean world of luminous rocks, antediluvian forests, and fantastic marine life -- a living past that holds the secrets to the origins of human existence. Jules Verne's 19th-century action classic has the added appeal of a psychological quest, in which the journey is as significant as the destination.… (more)
Member:MeganBowden
Title:Journey to the Center of the Earth
Authors:Jules Verne (Author)
Info:E-BOOKARAMA (2018), 275 pages

Work Information

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (Author) (1864)

Europe (29)
1860s (3)

English (182)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (203)
  archivomorero | Nov 9, 2022 |
Side Note: Unfortunately this edition did not have the best editing team. Was the nephew's name Harry or Henry? I believe Harry was used with slightly more frequency. What is innition? Ah, because it's inanition. These typos and overall lack of content oversight broke the story's flow, not to mention appear less than professional.

Review: I admire how Jules Verne can create an epic journey that did not include direct combat, or a political or romantic subplot, or some other generic, modern plot device. So much of the story takes a realistic approach: sometimes explorers take wrong turns, make poor decisions, conflict with leadership, experience freakish luck, and the sense of discovery often occurs during the slowest, longest leg of the journey. But because our main characters are intellectuals, or "learned men" as Verne prefers to refer to them, when the environmental action is slow (even boring to those addicted to hype as our modern culture encourages) the intellectual action is fast. So much to discover in the most ordinary of sites! The whole story adhered to a pleasurable pace and alternated with the philosophical, psychological, and physical survival themes. It was a travelogue with good company and a scenario that we dream about as kids.

I give it a 4 instead of a 5 for two reasons. 1) While Harry's and the Professor's altercations reflect normal familial relationships when traveling, sometimes the characters tested my patience. Sometimes Harry was too much a petulant child--yet that same behavior in a slightly different situation makes him the voice of reason and the Professor a bully. Verne repeats this formula several times and I would have liked to see more character growth. 2) Much of the book appears realistic, yet later in the story when most of the fantastical scenarios occur I found myself not taking the story seriously. The way the characters react, how lucky they get (degree of avoiding physical harm), and how sharp the story switched from realistic to over-the-top escapades disturbed my experience.

Still a fan of Verne. It's hard to come by a quality scientific (yet not futuristic) adventure that excludes the random romantic subplots or politically-enticed backstabbing. ( )
  leah_markum | Oct 28, 2022 |
Formats: PB & audiobook ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Oct 2, 2022 |
its a adventure novel and its best for adventures lovers. ( )
  rehanasarwar617 | Sep 8, 2022 |
Not much I can say by way of reviewing this. If I had read it when I was young, it probably would have had more appeal. Verne was a scientist at heart, and it shows clearly in his writing. I found the details of the volcano and Iceland fascinating and even the most unbelievable parts seemed possible in the context of the book itself.

Not my genre, though, and enough to let me know I can take the other Verne's off my TBR. ( )
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Looking back to all that has occurred to me since that eventful day, I am scarcely able to believe in the reality of my adventures.
Large though it is, that asylum is not big enough to contain all Professor Lidenbrock's madness.
This is the main work for A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321040, 0141441976, 0451532155

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175145, 1907832785

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Fantastic Books

An edition of this book was published by Fantastic Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,345,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible