Chosen by God by R. C. Sproul

Chosen by God (original 1986; edition 1994)

by R. C. Sproul

Member:Kirk1810
Title:Chosen by God
Authors:R. C. Sproul
Info:Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (1994), Paperback, 213 pages
Collections:Salvation / The Gospel

Chosen by God by R. C. Sproul (1986)

Read this back in 2009 when I first embraced the Doctrines of Grace. I found it to be more helpful this time around as I have had several years to absorb many of the arguments and implications of this position. "Chosen By God" is praiseworthy for its readability. Sproul has an easily identifiable reading style with his short, pithy sentences. Additionally he is able to concisely explain difficult philosophical ideas with clarity. His treatment on the compatibility of free will and divine sovereignty is quite helpful. He is mostly fair in addressing potential counter-arguments to his case though he never mentions any of the arguments from the compatibilist position of Molinism. He also presents Arminianism in its most extreme form, though I imagine he would say he is taking the Arminian position to its logical conclusions. However, "Chosen by God" misses the mark on several more practical issues. The book seemed to lack organization. One instance of this is that Sproul walks through the points of TULIP somewhat sporadically throughout the book. Part of this may be that he didn't really state his scope. At the end of the book he acknowledged that the book was too short to address Limited Atonement but then gives 5 pages of treatment to it. He does however devote a good deal of space to addressing some more common "softball" objections to the position. I would have preferred him to clarify his scope and purpose and then organize it a bit more. Also, Sproul committed an author's "unpardonable sin"... he didn't include a single footnote or reference. I find that to be somewhat audacious, even for the likes of R.C. Sproul.This book had the feel of weekend publication. One that was not carefully planned or edited. Perhaps he took his class lectures and simply organized them for publication.All in all, in spite of my criticisms, this is a readable primer... one that I judged worth two reads. ( )
  nathan.c.moore | Oct 1, 2012 |
Cogently written for the layman in understanding the Reformed faith and the concept of predestination mingling with free will. Recommended. ( )
  jengel | Jan 18, 2010 |
A very clear & readable book on a difficult and often misunderstood subject, predestination. Great overview of reformed theology with illustrations that really helped me to understand the concepts better. ( )
  sroot | Aug 17, 2009 |
If you want a clear understanding of Predestination, from a Reformed Theologian's perspective, this is the book you want to get. Though I am not a Calvinist, I appreciate Sproul's clear communication. ( )
  johncalvinhall | Jul 11, 2007 |

With nearly 200,000 copies sold in its 25 years, Chosen by God by Dr. R. C. Sproul is a contemporary classic on predestination, a doctrine that isn't just for Calvinists, says Sproul. It is a doctrine for all biblical Christians. In this updated and expanded edition of Chosen by God, Sproul shows that the doctrine of predestination doesn't create a whimsical or spiteful picture of God, but paints a portrait of a loving God who provides redemption for radically corrupt humans. We choose God because he has opened our eyes to see his beauty; we love him because he first loved us. There is mystery in God's ways, but not contradiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:48 -0400)

Dr. Sproul shows how election is entirely compatible with human freedom, dignity, and responsibility.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,845,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible