Essential Rumi by Jalal al-Din Rumi

Essential Rumi (edition 1997)

by Jalal al-Din Rumi, Et Al Coleman Barks (Translator)

A comprehensive collection of ecstatic poetry that delights with its energy and passion, The Essential Rumi brings the vibrant, living words of famed thirteenth-century Sufi mystic Jelalludin Rumi to contemporary readers.
Member:shaitay
Title:Essential Rumi
Authors:Jalal al-Din Rumi
Other authors:Et Al Coleman Barks (Translator)
Info:HarperOne (1997), Paperback, 416 pages

The Essential Rumi by Jalal al-Din Rumi

I was surprised by how boring I found these poems. I think that I'm not really the right market to appreciate Rumi's mysticism and secret gayness, and perhaps its the way Barks has selected and tied together strands of works into more unified poetical structures, but it didn't do it for me and I gave up after sixty pages. ( )
  elahrairah | Nov 7, 2020 |
Contains "In Baghdad, Dreaming of Cairo: More Teaching Stories," which is the earliest version I can find of "The Treasure." Rumi's poem makes it way into The Thousand and One Nights / The Arabian Nights."
  raizel | Nov 24, 2019 |
Barks and Moyne have translated many of the best-loved poems of Rumi in this book and grouped them into 27 categories, such as The Tavern, Bewilderment, On Silence, and so forth. Since Rumi has left us a huge number of poems, this book makes it easy to locate poems by content. Rea Keech used quotes from Rumi as chapter epigraphs and for the title of his novel A Hundred Veils.
  realnicebooks | Apr 26, 2019 |
This revised and expanded edition of The Essential Rumi includes a new introduction by Coleman Barks and more than 80 never-before-published poems.

Through his lyrical translations, Coleman Barks has been instrumental in bringing this exquisite literature to a remarkably wide range of readers, making the ecstatic, spiritual poetry of thirteenth-century Sufi Mystic Rumi more popular than ever.

The Essential Rumi continues to be the bestselling of all Rumi books, and the definitive selection of his beautiful, mystical poetry.
  PSZC | Apr 17, 2019 |
I have a great deal of respect for Rumi, and I trust him. He’s never just playing the crowd; he’s sincere.
  smallself | Mar 29, 2019 |

Jalal al-Din Rumiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arberry, A. J.Translatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barks, ColemanTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moyne, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nicholson, ReynoldTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

for compassionate heart within the mind, the light within the body,
for the sun, Shams of Tabriz, and Bawa Muhaiyaddeen
In the tavern are many wines—the wine of delight in color and form and taste, the wine of the intellect's agility, the fine port of stories, and the cabernet of soul singing.

Coleman Barks translation of Rumi and his comments

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,243,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible