Erak's Ransom by John Flanagan

Erak's Ransom (2007)

by John Flanagan

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
Writing: 4.5; pretty good writing from John Flanagan in his seventh installment to the series.
Theme: 4.0; Halt's wedding and Will's graduation to full-fledged Ranger are interrupted when Svengal, the Skandian pillager, announces that the Skandian chieftain Erak has been captured by foreigners from the desert land of Arridi, falling in with various desert nomad tribes along the way as they try to negotiate for Erak's release before things go awry.
Content: 4.5; some violence throughout the book with sword battles and deaths by other weapons, although they aren't detailed very much beyond the spilling of blood.
Language: 5.0; nothing objectionable.

The seventh book in the Ranger's Apprentice, Erak's Ransom deviates from the main storyline the books have been following up to this point. In between books 4 and 5, a time jump happens and we begin to follow the young Ranger Will on his first solo mission after graduating from apprentice to Ranger. Now the story of his graduation and final mission with Halt is detailed with an ensemble of the most familiar faces from the series. When Erak, the Skandian chief-turned-ally, is captured by Arridi nomads, desert-dwellers, Svengal the Skandian asks for the help of Halt and his allies. The king agrees and sends his daughter Evanlyn to act as negotiator with the Arridi for Erak's release, escorted by Will, Halt, his former apprentice Gilan, and the warrior Horace as they encounter various other desert tribes. The story kind of crawls along slowly until the end when the action ramps up, although it is cool still to see a new locale and new cultures, something not seen since the earlier books. Still, the book didn't hit with quite as much impact as the other volumes, but that may have just been because I had read the other books all back-to-back and may have been suffering from oversaturation of the series. I still recommend the book, as it offers a nice look at all of these classic characters and fills in an important part of both Will and Halt's lives. Definitely recommended to followers of the series and genre, after reading the others of course. ***Finished May 5, 2019*** ( )
  DarthTindalus | May 6, 2019 |
This is the first book in the series to really deviate from the chronological order, but John Flanagan does explain its time setting and the reason for it in the note at the start of the book, so there's no trouble knowing where exactly it fits. And, like the rest of the series, it's quite an adventure. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jul 24, 2018 |
The true coming of age time for Will. He must achieve a very important goal, without Halt's help. And he does.

Just the right amount of tension and laughter keep this book from being dull. A new environment and set of people to learn about also help.

Not sure why the later books are called Ranger's Apprentice", not considering the end of this book." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
"This book is the seventh on the series. Nothing epic happens here, but the story is well put together. It features some of the well known characters as well as introducing some new ones; Flanagan makes good use of humor to keep things light. It's important to mention that this book does not follow the previous one chronologically. Instead, the story here follows the events that happened between books four and five.

At the beginning everything is going well, even though Will is tense due to his upcoming test to become a Ranger and Halt is getting married, so he is also worried about his relationship with Will after the wedding. At the middle of this turmoil of emotions, Will and Halt must focus on their new mission: to accompany the princess to neighboring lands to ransom Erak.

To be honest, I don't think this book has an important role in the series, since it doesn't directly affect the story from the point where the last book left off, but it was cool to at least get to know what happened during the period of time that was skipped after book four.

Despite it being kind of unnecessary, it was interesting to watch these characters in a completely different climate, having to deal with sandstorms and hot sunlight. The thing that I definitely didn't like was the almost fatal mistake made by Will due to this harsh climate which he was not used to. Regardless, the thing that really bugged me is that the plot felt like a little bit too shallow to me. The story doesn't display much more than the characters focusing on rescuing Erak and that is boring. I get that that is the title of the book, thus the reason for so much focus on in, but I feel like Flanagan could have shown a little more of Arrida's culture while rescuing Erak. Overall it is the worst book of the series for me, so far.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
“Always expect something to go wrong,"" he told him. ""Believe me, if you're wrong, you're not dissapointed. If you're right, you're ready for it.”

The Last Passage
Will shook his head. “I feel absolutely overwhelmed by the whole thing,” he said. Then, after a few seconds, he confided, “You know, a few weeks back, I didn’t think I was ready for this.”
“And now?” Horace prompted.
“Now I know that if you wait till you think you are ready, you’ll wait all your life.”
The young knight nodded. “I couldn’t have put it better,” he said. “That’s exactly how I felt when we came back from Skandia and Duncan knighted me. ‘I’m not ready,’ I kept wanting to say.”
“But you were,” Will said.
Horace nodded. “Yes. Maybe our teachers do know what they’re doing, after all. Halt thinks the world of you, you know. When we were in prison in Maashava, he knew you’d turn up to get us out. He must have been proud to see you graduate today. Following in his footsteps.”
“They’re big footsteps to follow in,” Will said. “Crowley said it best today: there’s only one Halt.”
Horace looked at him very seriously, appraising him, thinking of all he had learned about this remarkable young man in the past five years.
“You may not ever be exactly like him,” he said. “But you will be Will Treaty—and that’s more than enough for the rest of us.”
Then the two friends leaned back and watched the sun rise clear of the trees.
“Best time of the day,” said Will.
“Yes,” Horace agreed. “What’s for breakfast?”
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrlIh4jKJT0
  scducharme | Mar 6, 2015 |

awesome book but i rather the other ones from this one though.

On a mission to pay the ransom of a new ally, apprentice Will and his friends find themselves in a desert wasteland awash with enemies.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,568,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible