Erak's Ransom by John Flanagan

Erak's Ransom (2007)

by John Flanagan (Author)

English (22)  Dutch (1)  All languages (23)
"This book is the seventh on the series. Nothing epic happens here, but the story is well put together. It features some of the well known characters as well as introducing some new ones; Flanagan makes good use of humor to keep things light. It's important to mention that this book does not follow the previous one chronologically. Instead, the story here follows the events that happened between books four and five.

At the beginning everything is going well, even though Will is tense due to his upcoming test to become a Ranger and Halt is getting married, so he is also worried about his relationship with Will after the wedding. At the middle of this turmoil of emotions, Will and Halt must focus on their new mission: to accompany the princess to neighboring lands to ransom Erak.

To be honest, I don't think this book has an important role in the series, since it doesn't directly affect the story from the point where the last book left off, but it was cool to at least get to know what happened during the period of time that was skipped after book four.

Despite it being kind of unnecessary, it was interesting to watch these characters in a completely different climate, having to deal with sandstorms and hot sunlight. The thing that I definitely didn't like was the almost fatal mistake made by Will due to this harsh climate which he was not used to. Regardless, the thing that really bugged me is that the plot felt like a little bit too shallow to me. The story doesn't display much more than the characters focusing on rescuing Erak and that is boring. I get that that is the title of the book, thus the reason for so much focus on in, but I feel like Flanagan could have shown a little more of Arrida's culture while rescuing Erak. Overall it is the worst book of the series for me, so far.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
“Always expect something to go wrong,"" he told him. ""Believe me, if you're wrong, you're not dissapointed. If you're right, you're ready for it.”

The Last Passage
Will shook his head. “I feel absolutely overwhelmed by the whole thing,” he said. Then, after a few seconds, he confided, “You know, a few weeks back, I didn’t think I was ready for this.”
“And now?” Horace prompted.
“Now I know that if you wait till you think you are ready, you’ll wait all your life.”
The young knight nodded. “I couldn’t have put it better,” he said. “That’s exactly how I felt when we came back from Skandia and Duncan knighted me. ‘I’m not ready,’ I kept wanting to say.”
“But you were,” Will said.
Horace nodded. “Yes. Maybe our teachers do know what they’re doing, after all. Halt thinks the world of you, you know. When we were in prison in Maashava, he knew you’d turn up to get us out. He must have been proud to see you graduate today. Following in his footsteps.”
“They’re big footsteps to follow in,” Will said. “Crowley said it best today: there’s only one Halt.”
Horace looked at him very seriously, appraising him, thinking of all he had learned about this remarkable young man in the past five years.
“You may not ever be exactly like him,” he said. “But you will be Will Treaty—and that’s more than enough for the rest of us.”
Then the two friends leaned back and watched the sun rise clear of the trees.
“Best time of the day,” said Will.
“Yes,” Horace agreed. “What’s for breakfast?”
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Quando Erak, o oberjarl da Escandinávia, decide liderar seus homens em um saque à pequena cidade mercantil de Al Shabah, ele não imagina o desfecho dessa empreitada. Depois de uma invasão surpreendentemente fácil, o líder escandinavo acaba prisioneiro de um grupo de guerreiros do povo arridi. Svengal, homem de confiança do escandinavo, pede ajuda aos araluenses. Por conta da dívida de honra que tem com o oberjarl, o rei Duncan se vê obrigado a enviar a princesa Cassandra como representante da família real para efetuar o pagamento do resgate e garantir a liberdade de Erak. Preocupado com a segurança da filha, Duncan convoca Halt, Will, Horace e Gilan para acompanhá-la e protegê-la durante a missão. Tem início uma jornada onde o perigo espreita atrás de cada pedra do caminho. Uma verdadeira provação para Will e seus companheiros, que fica ainda mais arriscada quando o grupo é castigado por uma tempestade de areia que carrega rumores de uma grande traição.
  melissa.gamador | Sep 9, 2014 |
John Flanagan's creativity and mastery of storytelling once again shines through in this riveting installment of the "Ranger's Apprentice" series as he sweeps readers along with Will and his friends to distant desert lands fraught with danger. Despite the fact that this book's timeframe is set before books 5 and 6 and reveals what happens in Will's final year as an apprentice, the switch in time isn't difficult to follow. Readers will, in fact, be thankful that Flanagan choose to recount this key adventure in Will's life. I literally devoured this book and found it to be one of my favorites in the series thus far. If you're a fan of this series, "Erak's Ransom" is definitely not an installment you want to miss! ( )
  ThePageturners | Mar 23, 2014 |
In this book made by John Flanagan Will Halt and Gilan the rangers along with Horace the knight and princess Cassandra travel far after realizing their friend erak is being help ransom. While this is all happening Will is stressed out about his ranger apprentice graduation.
This book was not bad, I did not like the fact that it went so far back in time when I was beginning to like the new ranger Will however it is important and is worth reading.
  br14jamo | Oct 31, 2013 |

awesome book but i rather the other ones from this one though.

On a mission to pay the ransom of a new ally, apprentice Will and his friends find themselves in a desert wasteland awash with enemies.

71 wanted5 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,871,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible