Erak's Ransom: Book 7 (Ranger's Apprentice)…

Erak's Ransom: Book 7 (Ranger's Apprentice) (original 2007; edition 2011)

by John Flanagan (Author)

On a mission to pay the ransom of a new ally, apprentice Will and his friends find themselves in a desert wasteland awash with enemies.
Member:JessiAdams
Title:Erak's Ransom: Book 7 (Ranger's Apprentice)
Authors:John Flanagan (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2011), Edition: 13498th, 416 pages

Erak's Ransom by John Flanagan (2007)

English (29)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (31)
After reading the Ranger's Apprentice website, I decided to read Book 7 after Book 4, which is the correct chronology as Will earns his silver oakleaf. The Skandian Oberjarl Erak is captured in a raid, and his first mate enlists the help of Halt, Will, Horace and Princess Cassandra (Evanlyn.) Will leaves his friends to rescue Tug, who eventually saves Will, and Will then saves his friends from execution. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
{Seventh published of 11 (or 12); Ranger’s Apprentice series. Fantasy, children’s, YA} (2007)
Group read.

I started reading this but then paused it to finish some library e-books before returning to it so my reading was a bit fragmented. I read it before the books numbered 5 and 6 in the series, per the author's recommendation, as events in this book take place before those in the other two.

The story opens with Will's imminent graduation to full Ranger status and Halt's surprising upcoming wedding. However as the festivities are concluded news comes of Erak's capture. Erak is the Oberjarl of the Skandians, erstwhile enemies of Araluan but now allies since the signing of a treaty. Will, Halt and friends travel to the desert country of Arrida to ransom him taking the princess with them as negotiator. But nothing is as simple as that and adventures ensue.

There was a risk involved in coming so close to the shoreline, he knew. But it was the lesser of two risks. They'd kept a steady south-east course through the night, driven by the unwavering northerly breeze that blew towards the coast at this time of year. Borne along by the wind, Erak had sailed in close to the land, inside a huge bay that took a bite out of the coastline. On the eastern end of the bay, on a raised promontory, stood the township of Al Shabah. By placing his ship inside the bay, and inland of the spot where the town stood, Erak knew that he would be screened by the dark land mass behind him. Also, as the sun slowly rose, which it would be doing in about another forty minutes, his ship would still be in darkness, while the promontory and town, to the east of his position, would be illuminated. He could have turned towards Al Shabah while they were still further out to sea, avoiding the risk of being spotted from the coast. But that would have increased the risk of being seen from the town itself. Even by night, Wolfwind would have been a darker shadow on the steely grey surface of the sea.

Flanagan writes well; he does good action scenes that don't go on forever and I like his banter, which amuses and doesn't seem forced. The characters in this fantasy world, which parallels ours, are believable - not too perfect or too angsty. My eleven year old is also reading this series and enjoying it; it is a good one for children and doesn't talk down to them. The characters do go through hardships and, since they become involved in battles, there is some killing and some deaths but I don't feel that these are traumatic for readers while still keeping the story realistic.

Worth reading, even for adults.

4.5 stars ( )
  humouress | May 6, 2021 |
In the wake of Araluen's uneasy truce with the raiding Skandians comes word that the Skandian leader has been captured by a dangerous desert tribe. The Rangers - and Will - are sent to free him. But the desert is like nothing these warriors have seen before. Strangers in a strange land, they are brutalized by sandstorms, beaten by the unrelenting heat, tricked by one tribe that plays by its own rules, and surprisingly befriended by another. Like a desert mirage, nothing is as it seems. Yet one thing is constant: the bravery of the Rangers. ( )
  Gmomaj | Nov 30, 2020 |
A very good book but it should have been book 5 instead of 7 of the series. ( )
  Fidelias | Jan 9, 2020 |
3.5 stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

It has been a year since I read the sixth book in the Ranger's Apprentice series and since I was looking for an Australian author to read for the Southern Hemisphere reading challenge, it seemed the perfect moment to pick this series up.

For this book I've made the change from reading it in Dutch, to English. This caused little problems (it took me quite some time to realize that Horace is Arnaut from the Dutch books), but after some initial confusion it was a good read.

Because of the time between the books, I wasn't bothered too much with the weird chronology in this part of the series (book 7 takes place before books 5 and 6). Apparently, John Flanagan decided he had left out some of Will's story and just added it later.

So, Erak's Ransom takes place just before Will becomes a real Ranger, and he will need everything he has learned when they venture into the desert to save an old friend, Erak, who's been captured.

I quite liked the story of this one. I felt that, compared for example with book six, more things happened and there was more suspense (though it was limited a little bit with the fact that this book takes place earlier). Will however annoyed me a little as he is turning more and more in the special snowflake one who is the only one who can solve things and is also the one who is always right. I like my main characters slightly more flawed.

Looking forward to the next book! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

awesome book but i rather the other ones from this one though.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,374,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible